lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-08-2017, 07:12 PM   #1
Pizzaguy
Not Yet Wild

Default 84 Club Car will not turn over/ restart when warm

I am new to the golf cart world and purchased 1984 Club Car to run around the campground. Cart starts and runs great, but if I stop it after 5-10 minutes of tooling around it will not even crank over to restart. You can hear a click when pedal is depressed, but that is it. If you leave it alone for 10-15 minutes it restarts again and runs fine. I have also tried to put it in service mode and neutral, and same thing. Have not had starter out to look at yet. Does it sound like a starter issue or coil issue? Where do I start checking? Camping season is almost over, now it is time to get this fixed for next year. Thanks for any help.
Pizzaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-08-2017, 07:20 PM   #2
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Default Re: 84 Club Car will not turn over/ restart when warm

Next time it won't start, try opening the little black box under the air intake and laying a screwdriver across the two big terminals of the solenoid.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 07:23 PM   #3
jdgriner
Getting Wild

Club Car

Well i dont think it's either the starter or coil, they would not effect it not turning over..

It has to be something electrical, a relay or bad switch or something around that lines.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
jdgriner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 07:42 PM   #4
Pizzaguy
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springbok View Post
Next time it won't start, try opening the little black box under the air intake and laying a screwdriver across the two big terminals of the solenoid.
I will try that. I know I bought it not running and previous owner just put a new solenoid on it. I found original problem to be a corroded wire to ignition switch. Replaced that and it started right up. Maybe it is time to rebuild all wiring.
Old 04-29-2018, 05:55 PM   #5
Pizzaguy
Not Yet Wild

This winter I had the body off to get repainted and went thru the wiring. I replaced all micro switches, found a wire a previous owner put a screw into and just tried a longer ride. Same results!! Once warm it will not turn over to start without setting for a few minutes. I did turn clutch/starter belt a few turns by hand and then tried it again to see if it was a dead spot in starter. No help. Does anyone have any ideas? I did try jumping solenoid and that works. What is stopping pedal from turning it over only when warm??
Old 04-30-2018, 04:38 AM   #6
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Here's a semi-complete wiring diagram I made of your cart. I say semi-complete because I don't know what color some of the wires are (they are the wires that have letters on them). Club Car only used this wiring scheme for two years (1984-1985). If you could possibly tell me the colors of the some of the "lettered" wires are in the diagram I would be grateful.

Old 04-30-2018, 08:27 AM   #7
Pizzaguy
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Here's a semi-complete wiring diagram I made of your cart. I say semi-complete because I don't know what color some of the wires are (they are the wires that have letters on them). Club Car only used this wiring scheme for two years (1984-1985). If you could possibly tell me the colors of the some of the "lettered" wires are in the diagram I would be grateful.

I will get the wiring colors for you but it may be a few days before I can get to it. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 05-03-2018, 06:51 PM   #8
Pizzaguy
Not Yet Wild

Quote:

I got the wire colors best I could without tearing into wire loom. Let me first say that it looks like someone at sometime has done some wiring repairs ad there are crimp ends on most of the terminals. He goes: Wires A & B from neutral switch are both dark green. C is black. D- I am unsure. E is light green. F is orange. G is green.
It starts and runs great in both run and service mode on toggle switch.
Once you stop engine when warm is when it will not turn over to restart without waiting five - tem minutes. If you keep engine running you can run all day.
Old 05-05-2018, 06:11 AM   #9
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Did you try bypassing the pedal circuit by putting a screwdriver across the two big terminals of the solenoid? That puts battery power directly to your starter. If that works and the pedal doesn't, you'll need to work back through the wiring to find out what component is failing you.

Thanks for getting those wire colors. I'll try and confirm them before putting my new diagram out as gospel truth.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car