lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-23-2018, 11:11 PM   #1
poppop 51
Not Yet Wild

Default secondary spring

Hi everyone, I'm new to the cart thing and have been reading threads on G9's till my head was spinning. I think the best thing for me to do is take one problem at a time. I was looking at my driven clutch and didn't see any kind of plastic sliders and it has a white spring. Is this a bad thing? Also I need a new primary clutch, any recomendations? thanks
poppop 51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-23-2018, 11:36 PM   #2
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: secondary spring

Yes there should be three ramp shoes (plastic sliders) if the primary is worn out pull the belt off and check the sheaves if there's grooves you might me better off buying new secondary as well
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 01:42 AM   #3
sformal
Gone Wild

Yamaha

sformal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 05:55 PM   #4
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

The spring should be inside 3 ramps around it, with plastic shoes that slide on the ramps. A white spring is likely aftermarket and very strong. If the cart is lifted springs can help, usually not needed (unless towing/etc) if not lifted though old springs do loose strength over years.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 06:43 PM   #5
poppop 51
Not Yet Wild

thanks, yes, the cart has a Jake's lift kit and big tires. I'll have to take pictures because I also have issues with the drive clutch and not sure of options or where to start
Old 02-24-2018, 07:59 PM   #6
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

What primary do you have? G9 has weights in it and later replacements have rollers, or it could be aftermarket.

Usually yami clutch primary you take the cover off and inspect for broken weights or links or bad rollers. Secondary check the ramps for smoothness, shoes on ramps, grease both with 1-2 pumps only at fittings. Aftermarket comet for example are different, they don't have a cover to take off unless its the dust cover.

Check the moving sheaves on each for wobble, they are not tight but should not wobble much. Check the aluminum sheaves for wear from belt, the belt will dish them in and eventually wear through them. Dish in makes them shift more poorly, makes them like a 1.25 wide belt more. It is mostly from sand on the belt makes that wear more.

This is a stock G9, the primary cover comes off with screws around the outside edge of it to inspect.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XksLJlvY6KA

The grease fitting is near one of the screws, fitting on secondary is on back side near a ramp. Make sure no grease comes out in the center shaft and gets on the belt, that is why 2 pumps max.
Old 02-24-2018, 08:13 PM   #7
poppop 51
Not Yet Wild

the primary has weights, one of the plastic slides is missing and the sliding sheave has holes in it. the fixed sheave feels worn. I will get pictures and have son upload them.
Old 02-24-2018, 08:17 PM   #8
poppop 51
Not Yet Wild

a primary cover came with the cart but was damaged and off when I got it.
Old 02-24-2018, 10:18 PM   #9
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Sliding sheave has holes worn into it, it is toast. They are expensive now it can be a better deal to get another clutch. I had slides but think I sold them. The fixed was steel and did not wear much unlike the aluminum part. I rebuilt one with a new sheave and weights but the price is much higher last time I looked. They last forever figure yours is maybe almost 30 yr old. Mine was '92 and it was nearly worn through when I put a 94c clutch on it, I put 3 sets of used weights in it lol. I got that cart in '99. I kept it for a spare but drilled the weights for my clone.
Old 02-24-2018, 10:23 PM   #10
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Did you guys see what they did with the Umax spring? $95 now? Wtf
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha