lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-09-2018, 12:47 PM   #1
JerEazy
Getting Wild

Default Going to check out a G1 - What to look for

Good Afternoon everyone! Been having a blast reading through these G1 threads. I love vehicles that have a pseudo cult following. And from Yamaha boat engines, old Mako Boats and Datsuns, anything from the 80's just tickles me.

Anyway,

I'm headed to check out what is being called a "restored" 1984 G1 tonight. I believe the restoration had to do with cosmetics more than anything else. That aside, what should I be checking mechanically?

For Instance, how do i check the compression? It's not like i can turn the key with the safety clip pulled like a boat engine.

Is there a way to check the oil injections condition? i would rather not pre-mix.

Really any advice you can give would be amazing. Checklists are always a plus.

If she gets bought, i'll post up pics and stats and (of course) upgrades as they are made.

Thanks again!
JerEazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-09-2018, 01:25 PM   #2
JerEazy
Getting Wild

Default Re: Going to check out a G1 - What to look for

forget the compression question - pull the plug, twist it in and hit the gas.

Youtube :)
Old 08-09-2018, 07:32 PM   #3
JerEazy
Getting Wild

Welp, she drove great. Speed seemed to be up above what a comparable sized battery cart would be. She did seem to have a “stumble” unless the pedal was all the way down. But they were running a pretty heavy dose of pre-mix, not the oil injection, an old champion spark plug, and I noticed the oil injection wasn’t hooked up, but the vacuum ports weren’t sealed. So I’m ASSUMING it was a vacuum leak and gas/oil mixture issue more than a major mechanical issue. Time will tell.

The cart is an ‘82 - so from what I’ve read that presents a few more potential complications.

I’ll post pics and more details when she’s in the garage.
Old 08-09-2018, 08:58 PM   #4
griffo002
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Best of luck with it...Mine has a stumble and it getting worse at take off....flies when you get going a bit.
griffo002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:09 PM   #5
JerEazy
Getting Wild

Every Yamaha 2-stroke I’ve ever owned needed carb adjustment or rebuild. And that’s not sarcastic. Luckily they’re pretty straightforward.

It’ll be one of the first things I examine.

And I’m hoping the oil pump is still functioning. The Tank is removed, but I am that guy that likes the oil injection systems. I always add a bit of oil and some ring-free to the fuel as a just in case. But, the engines just run better in my opinion, when the injecrion systems are properly functioning.

Hopefully someone on here has their removed system they wanna swap for a few bucks and get out of the garage, (wink, wink, nudge, nudge)
Old 08-10-2018, 02:49 AM   #6
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

If it looks too perfect, just assume it has been sitting in the garage for too long. Otherwise, That means it needs crankshaft seals unless they "just got done when I had everything replaced" LOLOL. The G1 is a legend to me too, but finding a "sweet one" is just a myth anymore. They all need crank seals, and often have a carb that shows it's decades of relentless use. There are plenty of parts you just can't buy anymore .
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 04:31 AM   #7
JerEazy
Getting Wild

The carb had been replaced in the past few months. And I’m not fully versed in the adjustment on this model. So I’ll be doing some fiddling.

I’ll start with the basics: tube-up and filters, old gas too much oil in the mix and vac leaks from not properly removing the oil system. And i’ll check the seals soon.

Visually the cart has been completely worked over. Repainted, etc. so now it’s just getting the mechanics are close to perfect as possible for my OCD self.

I’ll atart a new thread with pics when it’s in the garage.
Old 08-10-2018, 08:12 AM   #8
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Guys, not to rain on a parade but aren't 82s that oddball "low compression" engine year?

JerEazy, let someone else confirm but, if my memory is correct, 82 was the only year that Yamaha used a low compression engine (90 - 100 psi) versus other years that were all 120 psi.

I recall seeing that rebuild parts, should they ever be needed, are kinda tough to source for those 82s. Again, I am going strictly by memory so I could have it wrong. Hopefully someone else will chime in.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 08:17 AM   #9
JerEazy
Getting Wild

You are correct on that based on what I’ve read too. I need to do some more research, but if I understand correctly the top part of the engine is the only difference. The rest is the same.

Curious if you can swap another top end on (if a rebuild becomes necessary) and have yourself the standard engine.

But having the "oddball" is something i've always enjoyed. Searching for parts and replacements and keeping it looking good and running well is half the fun!

With the retiree filled neighborhood I live in, i can't wait to drive my young *** to the clubhouse in a cart they'll remember using when they were younger.
Old 08-10-2018, 08:31 AM   #10
JerEazy
Getting Wild

here's what i've got on pics so far. As i said, i'll put up a new thread with more details and pics when she's in the garage tonight.

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha