lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-24-2019, 01:43 PM   #1
Maineiac
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default 89 CC Carryall wont shift into gear suddenly.

Hey Boyos, my 89 Carryall with the O-riginal lawn mower engine and all was working fine two days ago. Yesterday when i went to us it, it wouldn’t shift into either forwar or reverse. Shifter and cable both move, nothing has loosened up, i hear it grinding when i try to shift it like it isn’t going quite far enough, and I can manually put it in gear by moving the lever on the transfer case. Possible causes and solutions?
Maineiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-24-2019, 03:19 PM   #2
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 89 CC Carryall wont shift into gear suddenly.

You say the cable is moving, yet if you manually move the lever on the transfer case it works? My bet would be on the cable itself. When those cables go bad they tend to break a few strands of the wound wire at a time. Those broken strands will bite into the plastic housing and bind it up - so it doesn't travel quite far enough to get it into gear

Last edited by meimk; 03-24-2019 at 03:20 PM.. Reason: spelling typos
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 06:00 PM   #3
Maineiac
Getting Wild
Club Car

7D578FC5-9024-49BD-9E2D-653EF83EDB50.jpg

BB50AE08-DB47-470C-BE95-DFE43940398C.jpg

this is probably the culprit then.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:04 PM   #4
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineiac View Post
Attachment 183896

Attachment 183897

this is probably the culprit then.
Yep, that would certainly do it. Replace that cable and all should be good.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 09:14 PM   #5
Maineiac
Getting Wild
Club Car

I found the actual culprit once I removed the cable. The shifter arm that the cable attaches to has a set screw that clamps it in place on the shaft that goes into the transmission. The set screw had come loose and thought the lever appeared to be moving properly, the shaft wasn’t moving enough to actually shift into gear. A quick tighten of the set screw and I’m back in business. I think I’ll swap out that shift cable anyway after finding all the damage to the case. Thanks for the wisdom though.
Old 03-25-2019, 04:36 PM   #6
mrlmd
Gone Wild

When mine wouldn't shift out of reverse I found the ball pivot on the shifter arm had rusted and broken off inside the captive cable end, and after I put on a new ball pin and replaced the socket on the end of the cable, all was good to go again. You have to start at the shift lever, follow all the controls, cables. levers, etc and you can find the problem. If you're lucky you don't end up inside the trans, unless everything else checks out.
mrlmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 07:06 PM   #7
Maineiac
Getting Wild
Club Car

Lesson learned. The shaft wasn’t visible to me from the rear and looked like it was functioning normally. I had to remove the cable to find the problem. Little by little. I was very happy that it didn’t end up in the trans., but I would’ve been surprised if i had given the suddenness of the problem. I wish they were all this easy.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car