lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-26-2011, 07:44 PM   #1
Hardatwork
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default new comet clutch

I put a new Comet clutch on my 81 with a new belt. My problem is the cart wants to move when you engage the starter before the engine starts. I put the old belt back on and it is somewhat better but still wants to move with the starter. I am afraid this will damage the starter. Will the clutch brake-in or get looser. The belt I have on now is badly worn.

Thanks

Chuck
Hardatwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-26-2011, 09:43 PM   #2
jeffrun
Gone Wild

Default Re: new comet clutch

hi chuck,

What comet clutch did you install? Is the new belt adjusted, so there is a little slack when the cart is turned off? A belt to tight will act like that.`A picture would help.
jeffrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 10:31 PM   #3
Hardatwork
Gone Wild

Club Car

It is a Comet clutch for direct replacement for E-Z-Go 2 Cycle 1976-1988.
I don't think there is any way to adjust the belt tension. But I am open to hear any suggestions you might have.

Thanks

Chuck
Old 06-27-2011, 10:32 AM   #4
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

I would first check that you have the correct belt. The OEM belt should be 45 inches and it might be worth looping a piece of string around it and measuring the string.

To boost the pick up on my 86 I fitted the shorter HP3004 and I had the same problem as you until the belt broke in and loosened up a little. 6 months later everything is just fine.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 06:07 PM   #5
Hardatwork
Gone Wild

Club Car

Thanks Dave B4 I changed the clutch I had the HP3004 on. After new clutch I installed the OEM that measured 45 IN.a new one that I replaced my original belt with and it was way to tight so I ended up with my old almost worn out belt and it is still to tight but better then the new 45 IN. OEM belt. I was wondering if the clutch needs to be broke in? I replaced both the drive and driven clutch.

Thanks

Chuck
Old 06-27-2011, 08:55 PM   #6
jeffrun
Gone Wild

i have a link for dimensions of dayco belts maybe can help . I check my deflection with motor off, midway between driven and drive clutches and its about 1.5". A supply house listed your cart and belt length at 45", but thats a HP2011.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:56 PM   #7
jeffrun
Gone Wild

whoops ..forgot the link

http://www.daycoproducts.com/daycowe...dimensions.pdf
Old 06-28-2011, 08:36 AM   #8
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardatwork View Post
Thanks Dave B4 I changed the clutch I had the HP3004 on. After new clutch I installed the OEM that measured 45 IN.a new one that I replaced my original belt with and it was way to tight so I ended up with my old almost worn out belt and it is still to tight but better then the new 45 IN. OEM belt. I was wondering if the clutch needs to be broke in? I replaced both the drive and driven clutch.

Thanks

Chuck
There is no break in for the clutch. With the engine at rest the drive clutch should be fully open and the driven, fully closed. The 45 inch belt should be loose and almost flapping on the drive clutch spindle. If this is not the case then we need to look at the clutches to ensure that they are the correct types and thus the correct diameter. Did you remove the engine to replace the drive clutch? If so did it go back in correctly? I don't think that you can get it wrong but clearly something is out of wack here.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 08:23 PM   #9
Hardatwork
Gone Wild

Club Car

This is a old post with the same problem. The clutch that I installed is a Comet Drive clutch. For E-Z-GO 2-cycle 1976-88 from Easy Does it Customs (link) http://www.easydoesitcustoms.com/car...ct.php?id=9532. Now I can tell that the starter is not doing well having to move the cart before the engine starts. I am thinking that I should replace the belt with a longer one. My question is should I go 1/2 in. or 1 in. longer?

Thanks

Chuck
Old 08-16-2011, 03:10 PM   #10
Hardatwork
Gone Wild

Club Car

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Dave could you jump in hear and give your opinion.

Thanks

Chuck
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO