lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-18-2011, 09:00 PM   #11
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Suspension issues with lifted cart - need help!

Marko, if it truly is a factory lift, 22s will be fine. That is what I am running on 2 of mine. If I tweek it hard one might scrub but not long. You definitely want the 3 leaf over the 4. They will take your teeth out. Both of my horses have them and I am going to change the toy one to 3s. The worker stays 4. As for the ISO mounts, what are we talking about here ?? the rear leaf to axle mounts ?? If So, if it has the lift kit it should have an upper and lower plate, just use hd bolts if you can't find the square ubolts. If you really want the ubolts, a boat trailer uses the same setup so either a tractor supply or boat parts place will have them.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-18-2011, 09:18 PM   #12
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

OK, I am an idiot... I didn't look at the pics first

I get it now. If you want to just replace the ISO mounts they are not too bad. < $20 each. But I think with that setup it only raises about 3 inches. I think the front ST axle gives you 4 inches. If you want to make the rear setup stronger and get it up to 4 inches the cradles that come in the factory EZGo kit work great. Bit pricey at $45 each if you buy new but steel mount vs aluminum.. part number 620740. U bolts it uses or you can use with new ISO mounts are part number 32195G2 and less than $5 each. May want to see if someone has a used set or a sponsor may be able to beat that.

Again, my bad..
Old 10-18-2011, 10:28 PM   #13
Marko44
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake80 View Post
I would call Tom at cartspartsplus.com he is a site sponsor and has helped me in a huge way with my new engine. Tell him you just need the u-bolts that come in a allsport lift for a ezgo. If I had a set I would send them to you. The pin is probably still there, its pretty short. I had that same lift when I got my cart and the pins are still there.
I'll give him a call and see what suggestions he has. . . . Thanks!
Marko44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:41 PM   #14
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Marko, do you weld or have someone that can for you?
How about replacing the whole ISO set up for a spring perch on the axle and U-bolts. You have to tear it down to swap springs anyway and a local Northern Tool or Agri Supply or Tractor Supply will have them as well as U-bolts. I never have liked the ISO set up but that's just me.
Keep the shocks, unless you have seen fluid leaking from them. If you want to replace the rubber Advance Auto has them in the "Help" aisles.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:52 PM   #15
jeffrun
Gone Wild

hi mark,
Ill throw my 2 cents in. I had the exact setup on my 2001 and they were broken,wore out. My thoght was the same as you mentioned above..the axels are not locked in solid. I welded spring perches on top of axel and set my 3 leaf srings on them, the spring tie bolt fits in the perch hole and springs are indexed and locked. I used u bolts around axel to the tie plate above spring. I cut off the old shock mounting hole, and welded it to the new plate, so i retained my existing shock and its location.Its the same setup trailer axels,and the old cars had. This raised my cart an additional 1" making about a 3-4" lift. BTW ..nice looking cart.
jeffrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:56 PM   #16
Marko44
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
I get it now. If you want to just replace the ISO mounts they are not too bad. < $20 each. But I think with that setup it only raises about 3 inches. I think the front ST axle gives you 4 inches. If you want to make the rear setup stronger and get it up to 4 inches the cradles that come in the factory EZGo kit work great. Bit pricey at $45 each if you buy new but steel mount vs aluminum.. part number 620740. U bolts it uses or you can use with new ISO mounts are part number 32195G2 and less than $5 each. May want to see if someone has a used set or a sponsor may be able to beat that.

Again, my bad..
Kgsc – I honestly don’t know what kind of lift that is but after reading your first post stating:
“, if it has the lift kit it should have an upper and lower plate”
which prompted me to go out and take a closer look at the rear setup and you are correct, there is a lower and upper plate sandwiching the leaf spring. There are small u-bolts facing downward, going through both plates and the ISO mount caps with nuts on the end.
If I purchased the factory EXGO cradle (PN: 620740)

http://www.shopezgo.com/products/Lift-Bracket.html

you suggested, do I still use these upper and lower plates?

The description for the lift bracket states “This bracket provides structural support when adding a lift to the vehicle and fits over the leaf springs while providing height” so do I assume a new leaf fits directly on top of the axle, then this lift bracket sits on top and lastly the new 2 3/8" u-bolts (assuming 2 per side)

http://www.shopezgo.com/products/2%2...2522-Bolt.html

go upward around the axle, then through the lift plate and then secured on top with a nut . . . is that correct?

Thank you.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:28 PM   #17
Marko44
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash12888 View Post
Marko, do you weld or have someone that can for you?
How about replacing the whole ISO set up for a spring perch on the axle and U-bolts. You have to tear it down to swap springs anyway and a local Northern Tool or Agri Supply or Tractor Supply will have them as well as U-bolts. I never have liked the ISO set up but that's just me.
Keep the shocks, unless you have seen fluid leaking from them. If you want to replace the rubber Advance Auto has them in the "Help" aisles.
I do have a few buddies that weld and I live in a farming community that has a local Tractor Supply but I don't have a clue what a spring perch is but I will stop by in the next few days to find out.

Thank you for yet another possible way of fixing/improving the current setup
Old 10-18-2011, 11:44 PM   #18
Marko44
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrun View Post
hi mark,
Ill throw my 2 cents in. I had the exact setup on my 2001 and they were broken,wore out. My thoght was the same as you mentioned above..the axels are not locked in solid. I welded spring perches on top of axel and set my 3 leaf srings on them, the spring tie bolt fits in the perch hole and springs are indexed and locked. I used u bolts around axel to the tie plate above spring. I cut off the old shock mounting hole, and welded it to the new plate, so i retained my existing shock and its location.Its the same setup trailer axels,and the old cars had. This raised my cart an additional 1" making about a 3-4" lift. BTW ..nice looking cart.
Sounds like you did almost the same as Crash and as I mentioned above, I don't know what a spring perch is but I will find out. I think I'm following everything you did but I will run it by a buddy tomorrow who is more mechanically inclined.

It appears there are many good ways of tackling this problem and I really appreciate all of the input I'm getting from all of you.

Mark
Old 10-19-2011, 05:59 AM   #19
crash12888
Gone Crazy

This is the quickest picture of a spring pad or perch I could find. It goes on the axle tube and two U-bolts go around the axle tube up through the shock mounting plate.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...0549_200330549

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Weld-O...Tubes,632.html
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 06:02 AM   #20
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marko44 View Post
Kgsc – I honestly don’t know what kind of lift that is but after reading your first post stating:
“, if it has the lift kit it should have an upper and lower plate”
which prompted me to go out and take a closer look at the rear setup and you are correct, there is a lower and upper plate sandwiching the leaf spring. There are small u-bolts facing downward, going through both plates and the ISO mount caps with nuts on the end.
If I purchased the factory EXGO cradle (PN: 620740)

http://www.shopezgo.com/products/Lift-Bracket.html

you suggested, do I still use these upper and lower plates?

The description for the lift bracket states “This bracket provides structural support when adding a lift to the vehicle and fits over the leaf springs while providing height” so do I assume a new leaf fits directly on top of the axle, then this lift bracket sits on top and lastly the new 2 3/8" u-bolts (assuming 2 per side)

http://www.shopezgo.com/products/2%2...2522-Bolt.html

go upward around the axle, then through the lift plate and then secured on top with a nut . . . is that correct?

Thank you.
My original post was ASSUMING you already had the brackets, my bad..

If you bought the lift brackets, they would replace where the aluminum ISO mount is now. They rest on top of the axle. You would then take the new U bolts and go around the axle up through the new brackets and through your existing bottom plate, around the spring and through the top plate. Here is a link to the install manual from EZ for their econ lift kit, it has pics and also part numbers, page 6 http://e-z-go-media.precis5.com/9cb6...bb65bcb370ddd9

It doesn't show your existing bottom plate and it is not needed but you can leave it if your u bolts are long enough after you put in the 3 leaf springs..

The other option listed above was buying and welding in spring perches from someone like Tractor Supply trailer section. I think these are the ones but they have different sizes.. http://www.tractorsupply.com/trailer...pacity-1091389

They have the same effect as the brackets and are cheaper but they do require to be welded. I just like the bolt in option.

Hope this helps.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO