lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-24-2011, 02:39 PM   #1
mattpatt
Not Yet Wild

Default Hypothetically speaking...

Lets say someone just bought a used '85 cart not knowing what he got himself into and lets just say this person had no idea that the previous owner had disabled the governor. Does anyone know how much this little motor can take? The new owner finally got the cart running after cleaning the carb but then it kept getting progressively worse after having driven it for around 20-30 minutes and now owner says cart won't even run. The motor turns over and there is spark but nothing. I, I mean this guy, my fiend is worried he may have ruined his motor. Hypothetically speaking of course....

Matt
mattpatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-24-2011, 02:47 PM   #2
rib33024

Default Re: Hypothetically speaking...

first you need to do a compression test??, if that is OK, then you need to take that carb off and clean it real good, not just the out side, ALL of the insides, check fuel pump,?? could be a cracked fuel line, it could be a bad filter in the tank, ----- it could BE
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 02:57 PM   #3
mattpatt
Not Yet Wild

I..I mean WE...have cleaned the carb twice (going through it with carb cleaner and a cutting torch tip cleaning tool). We are going to borrow my buddies compression guage so we'll see where we're at with that. A new carb and fuel pump has been ordered with new filter and fuel line already installed. We're just worried we may have unknowingly red lined the engine too long not realizing the governor had been disabled. We've ordered a cheap tach for it off of ebay so it won't happen again. That is if we can get it running again.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:21 PM   #4
Ga_goat
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Pull the plug ( so it won't start ) and the fuel line off the carb turn the engine and see if it's pumping enough gas , if you blew a seal with the hi rpm then it will pump very little to none . Did that with my 89 twice .
Ga_goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 04:28 PM   #5
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

The 2PG engine is a tough little trooper which red lines at 5000 rpm. As long as you didn't run wide open constantly I think that you will be safe. As rib says the only definitive test is a compression test. If it is less than 90 psi then cleaning the pump and the carb and the fuel lines etc. will be about as useful as rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

If you are convinced that it is a fuel problem and that you have a spark then remove the air filter and the rubber inlet hose and squirt some fuel oil into the intake. If the engine now catches that is good news. If the engine still does not catch then it is possible that you are no longer generating crankcase pressure.

But first a compression test.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 05:44 AM   #6
racin161
Gone Wild

The oil pump has been removed and your pre mixing gas RIGHT ? 128:1
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 06:20 AM   #7
mattpatt
Not Yet Wild

Yes, the oil pump has been removed and mixing 128:1
Old 10-26-2011, 09:42 PM   #8
mattpatt
Not Yet Wild

Well bad news... Did compression test and only showed 30psi. Engine will not fire even with starting fluid but I do get good spark. That's about the only thing that's working correctly on this cart so far. I did try to grab on to the clutch and see if the crankshaft had any play in it and it felt solid. I assume a top end rebuild is in order? Problem is, I don't think I have the skills to do this.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:49 AM   #9
rib33024

It's not that hard to rebuild, you can buy a kit with everything

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/manua...ND_REBUILD.pdf

rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 06:59 AM   #10
racin161
Gone Wild

Matt if you've cleaned your carb-checked compression-checked for spark- Your right no it's time for a rebuild. Here is what i'd do ! Order a top end kit at the same time don't forget to order the 2 crank seals as you want to replace them also at this time. NOW don't dump your buddy at this time this is where the fun comes in. Get him some beer and offer a possible BBQ at the end. Use his skills,tools,and of course labor watch the VID supplied and you'll be surprised how smart you are.Were all here for moral support and we've all done it so any questions along the way just shout out.
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO