lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-07-2012, 07:32 PM   #1
gemmechanic
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default EZ-GO ST 4X4 steering rack boots

Steering rack boots for the EZ-GO ST 4X4 are not offered as replacement parts. The dealer will only sell a complete rack (part number 73809G01 ) which is about $300. This is fairly common because the GEM vehicles are the same way. Good news is you can get the boots, but just not from EZ-GO. The boots used on the Polaris Ranger are identical. Polaris part number for the driver side is: 5412012. Polaris part number for the Passenger side is: 5412013. On the GEM, both sides use the 5412013. Just order these from any Polaris dealer or ATV repair shop.

Daniel
gemmechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-08-2012, 12:35 PM   #2
garydee
Getting Wild

Cushman

Default Re: EZ-GO ST 4X4 steering rack boots

Great! Now here's a question for you - how about the actual "Tie Rod End"? Any cross reference for that? The 4x4 parts list only shows (as you know) the rack as an assibley. If you would happen to have a possible Polaris part number would be great!
garydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:48 PM   #3
gemmechanic
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I assume you mean inner tie rod end? There is a Polaris part number. Only problem is the part has been discontinued. I've run into this same problem on the GEM vehicles and came up with a solution. There is a VW Rabbit inner tie rod that matches the rack exactly. However, the threaded rod end is male rather than female. So, you will need to drill and thread a short piece of hex stock and thread to 14MM. This allows you to convert the new male inner tie rod to female and attach it to the male outer tie rod end. Use a 14 hex nut to lock it in place. These are easy to make and will save you from buying a $300 rack. I believe that 14MM female hex standoffs are available on the internet. I can send you the VW part number tomorrow.

Daniel
Old 01-09-2012, 09:33 AM   #4
gemmechanic
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

The inner tie rod number is 2695088. Order this from any NAPA auto parts store.

Daniel
Old 01-09-2012, 10:04 AM   #5
garydee
Getting Wild

Cushman

That was quick - not the tie-rod we are looking for, "tie rod end" unless I'm missed something here....

The Napa part number you have is shown on the left (below) - Tie rod needed on the right.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 540553.jpg (8.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg aCVs4x4.jpg (151.9 KB, 10 views)
Old 01-09-2012, 05:08 PM   #6
gemmechanic
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Ok, you need the outer tie rod end, which also is unavailable from the EZ-GO dealers. GEM outer tie rods use a larger 14MM rod diameter and will not fit. Polaris Ranger and Cushman Titan are 1/2" and not metric. Can you tell me what the thread pitch is on your tie rod? There are a few possibilities left. Most likely is that a part from another Textron product such as EZ-GO or Cushman will work. The other is using a tie rod from a small car such as a VW.

My suggestion is to use NAPA 2692419 as your outer tie rod and 2695088 for the inner even though you don't need that one. Both are reasonably priced. They are both 14MM and are made to work together. Take both EZ-GO inner and outer rods in with you to match. Remember that you are matching up the complete assembly and not just component parts. The VW inner tie rod end may need to be trimmed down. I am not absolutely sure this is an exact fit and can't take mine apart to confirm the measurements. If I can be any more help, please ask. Let me know how this works for you.

Daniel
Old 01-09-2012, 10:42 PM   #7
garydee
Getting Wild

Cushman

Thanks Daniel. As I go through my EZ-GO 4x4, I'm trying to document some of the parts and look for alternative replacements. I dig this cart, but the replacement parts are difficult to obtain or are totally over priced from the Ez-Go web site.

Once I tear back into the front end again, I'll pull one of the Tie Rod ends off and get some measurements and we can cross-reference.

So far, I have found alternatives for the front brakes, A-arm bushings, CV's and drive clutch. I was searching for a F-N-R Morse cable but ran out of time and ended up purchasing the one from Ez-Go - again, totally over priced. If interested I can get you the measurements for cross reference.

Do you have one of these yourself?

Thanks for the info - Garydee
Old 01-10-2012, 09:07 AM   #8
gemmechanic
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Yes, we have an ST along with various other Textron products. Apparently, these were only made for four years. Parts sources are drying up. Some component parts, like the rack boots were never available. I am here because I noticed some similarities with the GEM vehicles, for which I have extensively documented the alternative parts sources. The inner CV boot (I see you have one torn on yours) is also the same as the GEM, but about half the cost at $21. Just call NEV Accessories and ask for a GEM inner boot. The outer boots, however, are different. Where do you get your brake pads? Wilwood Engineering, the manufacturer, says they are OEM and will not sell direct.

Daniel
Old 01-10-2012, 07:14 PM   #9
garydee
Getting Wild

Cushman

Go to this link of my cart build; 2004 EZ GO ST4x4 "Moose Problem" I have pictures of the pads and the box they came in. I could be wrong, but I could only imagine Textron sourced readily available parts first. Same with the rebuilding of the front CV's.

The Wildwood brakes were easy to cross-reference on their web site - heck, the master cylinder says "Wildwood" writing on it. Morse cable on the other hand is stamped with a Ez-Go part number - easy enough have made from some of the marine suppliers if they can get the proper ends / measurements (that I have).

I could have used help when finding replacement from struts (read though my postings to understand why). Lucky, It worked OK with my work-around and lifting the cart. But I did find replacements for the longer ones that are in there with a off the shelf Monroe cartage (Caballero I believe).

Now going forward, I can see the need for replacement sealed front wheel bearings - Those will be tougher to find.

----

"Got some new front brake pads for the project. For future reference, ST4x4 owners can save big bucks by ordering these direct form Wildwood. EZGO web site has these at $88 a set, getting them direct is $33.

Part Number: 150-8990K - Wildwood: 805-388-1188"
Old 01-23-2014, 07:48 PM   #10
gemmechanic
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Just found the calipers are also available from Willwood. Their part number is 120-9851 and will fit either side. They may ask for the bore diameter which is 1.25".

Daniel
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO