lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-02-2013, 03:39 PM   #1
walrusjax
Not Yet Wild

Default Please help me decide which Club Car to buy

We are looking to get a new Club Car golf cart, but are having a really hard time deciding which is the "best deal" that will serve us into the future. We have a family of 5 and will be using it mostly for going back and forth to the bus stop plus riding around in our neighborhood (a golf community but won't be used on the course).

Both are Club Car Precedents with the upgraded speed control to 19mph. Both come with rear flip seat, wink mirror, safety bar, headlight & taillight. One is Blue, one is black, both are uncommon enough in our neighborhood and we like both.

Cart #1
* 2010 Precedent - Blue
* 6 - 8v batteries with date stamped Oct 2012 (less than a year old). They say either PN or PD on the top (can't recall). I believe they are Exide based on the interlocked covers that come off as one untwist.
* Tires look almost new, still have nubbies on them
* He charges less for add-ons (ex. $300 for extended roof) and will allow us to buy batteries and accessories from him at cost in the future)

Cart #2
* 2008 Precedent - Black
* 4 -12v Trojan Batteries (New)
* Tires look more worn, but still in pretty good shape (says tires don't normally wear out and he'll trade them out for free if they do since he has a pile of used ones)
* charges more for accessories to the point I can get them for the same price myself (ex. $400 for extended roof)

So, any opinions on which is better deal? To me, it seems like it comes down to newer cart with 6 batteries or newer batteries but only four.
walrusjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-02-2013, 03:46 PM   #2
walrusjax
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Please help me decide which Club Car to buy

Ooops, forgot the to menion:

2010 Precedent = $3650
(Also, he says that he load tested the batteries and they all tested fine)

2008 Precedent = $3800

I'm leaning towards the newer cart, even though I may have to replace batteries sooner (then again, maybe not).
Old 09-02-2013, 03:48 PM   #3
Storm S
Gone Wild

Club Car

12v batteries will SUCK for run time. I am new to all of this but this is a matter EVERYONE here seems to be very firm on.
Storm S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 03:51 PM   #4
mazdawg(Mikey)
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I'd say cart #1 because you'll get more run time out of 6 8v batteries and also because it has new tires. The option to buy add-ons at cost is a bonus as well.
mazdawg(Mikey) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:01 PM   #5
lance_214
Rode hard, put up wet!

Club Car

I'd go with cart 1...for the same reason..the batteries!
lance_214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:12 PM   #6
scotter
Gone Wild

Club Car

I agree about the battery config, but is either year Precedent better than the other for "issues"?
scotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:19 PM   #7
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

To the OP: If it is possible to wait a little before pulling the trigger, hopefully tahoedawg will see this. I would really like to see his comments about differences in the electronics. There is something nagging me but my stupid brain can't remember it. Might be nothing. IDK

I'm with the others on the batteries. In fact, I would argue the new 12v's are not "newer" than the 6's because their average life span is a year shorter all else being equal.

I believe 2008 was the transition year when CC quit the 12v's and went back to 6v's in the Precedent (also in the DS I think). They abandoned the 12v for a reason.

I would also be interested in the model # of the exides. If they are GC8V-118 , that is a 170 AH battery and what most people use in 48v carts. If they are GC8V-110, that is a 150AH battery and will probably disappoint in run time and longevity. I would argue for a lower price if equipped with these or similar batteries.

My 2cents
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:50 PM   #8
Storm S
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernal View Post
To the OP: If it is possible to wait a little before pulling the trigger, hopefully tahoedawg will see this. I would really like to see his comments about differences in the electronics.

Makes ya wish we could tag people like Facebook sometimes. NO? lol...
Storm S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:53 PM   #9
walrusjax
Not Yet Wild

Thank you to all of you for replying, and I'm open to more information if anybody would like to add anything else.

I did go ahead and tell him to build out the 2010, based on the replies here and our gut feelings that it was the one to go with. I wish I had a picture of the batteries so that I could post it, I've looked on Google and I haven't found anything that looks like them. Like I said, they appear to be Exides under another label (it is my understanding that they do that), but I am really basing that on the water cover mechanism. We also like the fact that he will buy us batteries at cost in the future, as well as accessories, so that is a plus. Additionally, since it is $150 cheaper than the 08, it is a savings as well.

BTW, I was told that CC changed the battery config mid year in 2008, so early 08 CCs had 4 batteries while later ones have 6.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:55 PM   #10
walrusjax
Not Yet Wild

BTW, I would be interested in knowing the difference in the electronics as well. I do know that in the 08, the electronics were located between the batteries and in the 2010, they are moved to the rear (I think accessed through a panel in the back) to make room for the 6 batteries.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car