lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-07-2021, 12:49 AM   #1
nzezgo
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 48v Ezgo Shuttle... solenoid, to fuse, to resistor to contactor ??

Hi all,

Bought this 48v Ezgo shuttle with a Curtis 1268-5403 Controller (48v & 400A).

Previous owner's wiring is a disaster . I traced all the wires and developed an "as is" wiring diagram. I know now how they blew all their lights etc.. reconnected their 48v wiring to a 12v wire coming out of the reducer. Anyway(s)... I've traced the wiring and need to confirm this is correct. I do have a wiring diagram to compare it to, but none of them seem to have the components I have:

- Solenoid (ok we all have one of them). The "T" and "B" are the larger connections and only mean "TOP" and "BOTTOM" as this solenoid sits on its side and I wanted to remember where the wires go as there was no + or - identifier on the solenoid.
- Fuse Holder - Picture included. Its a 48v 800A fuse. The "L" and "R" only mean Left and Right... again so that I could remember where the wires go.
- 48v Contactor - ? What the hells is this? It has 4 x connections. As can be seen from the "as is" wiring diagram 3 of the connections go to the controller, 1 goes back to the solenoid where from there up to the key switch.
- Little resistor or something. Too damaged to read anything on it... strange because it is placed in the middle of a wire, which wire runs from the Solenoid to the Fuse Holder, which then is connected to POS + on battery.

So I've included a current photo of the actual crazy wiring I see... but I also included an "as is" wiring diagram I created as the photo may be difficult to read. These 4 items are highlighted in YELLOW boxes on the wiring diagram. Please also note that I do have this 1 wire coming off the solenoid that just goes in a circle in itself and connects to nothing. ???

I hope this all makes sense. Please ask all the questions you want... grateful for this group and any insight you can provide. I just can't seem to find any wiring diagrams that have these components. This shuttle cart was built in China btw (production date 1/15/200, but it does have all aspects of an EZGO TXT. I rebuilt a 2002 EZGO TXT so is very similar (F/W switch on dash on both btw), but different controller, solenoid, no fuse, nor contactor thingy.

Again, much appreciated for any insight.

NZEZGO aka Brady
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210907_124642.jpg (220.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20210907_163624.jpg (202.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20210907_130253.jpg (325.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: png Solenoid-Fuse-Resistor-Contactor.png (39.9 KB, 0 views)
nzezgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-07-2021, 07:01 AM   #2
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Help please - 48v Ezgo Shuttle... solenoid, to fuse, to resistor to contactor ??

The 'little resistor' is there to help the solenoid live longer. It provides a small current to the other side of the solenoid. This way, when the solenoid is open (off) there is maybe 49.6V on one side and on the other 'resistor' side there may be 49.4v. This will keep the capacitors in the controller charged and when the solenoid closes (turns on) there won't be a big arc of electricity inside and the contacts will live longer. It's normally done slightly differently, but it's a good thing so keep it and don't worry. I have the resistor too.

The contactor says it's only 25 amps. Think of it as another solenoid only here it's a much lower amperage solenoid. Maybe it's there to replace the keyswitch inputs??? I don't know.

The fuse is a normal component of many installs. It's a little bit of insurance. I have a fuse on mine.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 10:58 AM   #3
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Default Re: Help please - 48v Ezgo Shuttle... solenoid, to fuse, to resistor to contactor ??

You might want to refer to the Curtis 1268 Controller manual to help you decipher how your cart is wired.

See:

https://shop.fsip.biz/Image/GetDocument/en/160

https://shop.fsip.biz/Image/GetDocument/en/195
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 10:06 PM   #4
nzezgo
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks ThreeCW and bronsonJ for your input. Just a couple more questions if you don't mind answering:

- Solenoid - Just in case I discover I do have a Solenoid issue, can you tell me what spec Solenoid I should purchase to replace this one. I'm getting a lithium battery 48v, and my motor is 4kw, 48v and 101a (image attached).

- Fuse Holder - I definitely need to replace this as its rusted out. I assume I just purchase a 48v 800a fuse and holder replacement... but wondering why it is 800a when the controller is rated at 400a? Shouldn't the fuse also be 400a size? Are you able to tell my what fuse I should purchase please?

- 48v Contactor - Also rusted, so will need to replace with a new one of these... I assume getting the same size of 48v and 25a is correct?

- Little Resistor - Definitely need to replace, its destroyed, not burnt, but rusted out... I can't read anything on it... so asking if you could provide some insight into what resistor I should purchase please.

Lastly, in my wiring diagram there was this 1 cable coming off the 48v contactor that went no where... from the links to the curtis manuals you provided, it appears this wire could be for my off/on tow bar switch, which was missing.

Again, thanks for your insight here... and look forward to your answers so I can make some purchases... much appreciated!
Attached Images
File Type: png Engine size.png (240.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-08-2021, 10:16 AM   #5
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

- Solenoid - Get the 48V SW180 or SW200 from Scotty.
The good solenoids are polarity specific, so read the directions. Not hard, just something to note.
https://www.cartsunlimited.net/solenoids.html

- Fuse Holder - A 400 amp fuse is fine. They are slow-blow fuses too. I have a fuse but no fuse holder... One side of my fuse is bolted to the terminal of the battery and the other side is bolted to the high current cable. Doesn't matter if you put it on the + or - side.

- 48v Contactor - I have no idea.

- Little Resistor - Scroll down further on the same page as the solenoids and Scotty has the appropriately sized resistors.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 07:02 AM   #6
nzezgo
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Should I be purchasing a 48v resistor then... and connect from the solenoid to other side of the 400a fuse as per my wiring diagram? Cheers!
Old 09-27-2021, 09:12 PM   #7
nzezgo
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thumbs up Re: 48v Ezgo Shuttle... solenoid, to fuse, to resistor to contactor ??

Just and update... the question around connectivity has been resolved. Thanks everyone.

No pre-charge resistor or coil supression diode is required on the solenoid as the 1268-5403 controller has an internal pre-charge resistor and diode already. Some Curtis controllers do, some don't. Curtis does not recommend.

See:
https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/show...=179661&page=2

Cheers!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO