lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-25-2021, 10:04 PM   #1
RyanGreenCart
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Lift kit brake issues Precendent

After waiting almost a year for my 8 inch long travel kit, and rear suspension, I finally got it, and installed it. However, I am having a huge issue with the brakes. They don't engage...at all! The Brake peddle is a jiggly pice of metal. The only thing I recall doing is replacing the driver side cable. Perhaps I screwed something up while taking the old cable off...
I have the floor board hatch off, and can see the bolts and turnbuckle that adjusts the brake tension. Adjusting this does nothing. There seems to be alot of play on the whole mechanism. It and the bracket that the brake cables attached to are just resting on the floor of the housing. With my hand, I can move it a good couple inches back and forth. There doesn't seem to be anything holding it tight. Is there an issue with this, or with the brake cables?

I'm pretty close to setting it all on fire

Pictures attached
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210925_225255.jpg (197.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20210925_225246.jpg (211.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20210925_225236.jpg (233.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20210925_171055.jpg (192.7 KB, 0 views)
RyanGreenCart is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-25-2021, 10:20 PM   #2
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Lift kit brake issues Precendent

Referring to picture #1. Turn that turnbuckle all the way in or at least until your brakes are adjusted. Is that front screw on the turnbuckle bent?
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 10:44 AM   #3
PingEye3
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanGreenCart View Post
After waiting almost a year for my 8 inch long travel kit, and rear suspension, I finally got it, and installed it. However, I am having a huge issue with the brakes. They don't engage...at all! The Brake peddle is a jiggly pice of metal. The only thing I recall doing is replacing the driver side cable. Perhaps I screwed something up while taking the old cable off...
I have the floor board hatch off, and can see the bolts and turnbuckle that adjusts the brake tension. Adjusting this does nothing. There seems to be alot of play on the whole mechanism. It and the bracket that the brake cables attached to are just resting on the floor of the housing. With my hand, I can move it a good couple inches back and forth. There doesn't seem to be anything holding it tight. Is there an issue with this, or with the brake cables?

I'm pretty close to setting it all on fire

Pictures attached
I have had to do this with every Ausco brake installation on a Precedent and it will work for you as well. Though, you didn't mention Ausco brakes, take the turnbuckle off, pull the long rear bolt out and add a stack of washers or large nuts, etc to the bolt on the back side where the two washers are in the pic. This will move (essentially shorten) the long bolt back farther in the balance bar allowing you to get a good adjustment with the turnbuckle. Fill a little more than that gap in the last picture and then adjust brakes. That should keep your cart arson thoughts under control.
PingEye3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 01:15 PM   #4
RyanGreenCart
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the feedback, gentlemen.
Yes, the equalizer was bent, so I got a new one. Also added the spacers. Finally, I noticed I was missing the spring plate that mounts to the rear axel.

A couple other notes: After installing the front kit, the alignment was way off. Had to tear it all down and redo it. Then I took it to a shop to get it perfect.

Lastly, I ended up ordering rear spacers because the front tires stuck out 2 inches further than the rear.

Overall, I'm pretty upset with the company I ordered from: Allsports. I waited 10 months for the kit, and when I got it, I was missing several pieces that were necessary. Also, the instructions for the installation consisted of a few black and white photos-and that's it. Nothing about ensuring alignment would be correct, or reinstalling the brakes or rear shocks, or spacers for the rear wheels.

Once it's all done, it'll be a beast though.
RyanGreenCart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 05:30 PM   #5
Bdlebo
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I just received my kit after 26 weeks wait. It's an 8" long travel kit for my Onward. Looking through the vague photo instructions with very little description on what to do I am fearing having to try and tackle it this upcoming week. Excited, but nervous. Do you have any pics of your cart with the kit installed? Did the rear 2" spacers bring the rear width even with the front?
Bdlebo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car