lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-26-2021, 01:05 PM   #1
kopyone
Not Yet Wild

Default Carburetor/flooding issues

Working on my father-in-laws new/old 1982 ezgo 2 stroke. It has good compression.

I replaced the motor mounts, reed valves, spark plug and wire, fuel pump, fuel filter, all fuel lines and carburetor.

When it runs, it runs good. Has plenty of power. The only issue is that it runs for about 30-45 seconds then dies and won’t start until you let it sit for a couple minutes.

Fuel is coming out of the overflow tube and I am also seeing fuel in the air cleaner hose where it clamps to the carburetor.

I tried adjusting the bowl float so it cuts the fuel off at a lower level, and that helped a little bit, as it runs longer, but still dies and leaks fuel out of the overflow tube. It seems like it runs longer/better the wider you open the throttle.

I think it’s flooding, but I’ve never gotten the hang of carburetors.

This is the third carb that I’ve tried… (the one that was on it when he got it, and two others bought from Amazon) the original carb isn’t available.

Any help or troubleshooting tips would be great! This thing is getting to be more trouble than it’s worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kopyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-27-2021, 07:50 AM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Carburetor/flooding issues

It runs good for 30 seconds, and dies. Sounds like it's running out of gas, or building back pressure.

Let's play the odds.
95% chance that a junk carburetor is causing your trouble.
4% chance that a plugged muffler is causing trouble.
1% chance that the new reed valves are not sealing properly.

The only thing you can adjust on that carburetor is the float level. The cheap ones are known for being dirty, and having poor machining done inside. A steel tipped needle valve with a metal seat will never seal. They are junk.

Try loosening the muffler, and running it. See what happens. What fuel ratio has your Father been using? 128:1 is the correct mixture.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 09:24 AM   #3
kopyone
Not Yet Wild

He is using a 6.4 oz bottle of oil to a 5 gallon gas can… so it comes out to 100:1 ratio.

I’ll remove the muffler and test that.

Is there anywhere to get a good quality remanufactured carburetor? Don’t have a ton of money to spend, but willing to spend more than the $25 that I’m seeing on Amazon/eBay.

Old 09-27-2021, 10:53 AM   #4
newtjl
Gone Wild

New OEM carbs for the 1982 model are available from country cat for $170. Do you still have the old factory one? As cart around said, the chinese ones are junk and will leave you chasing gremlins and replacing parts until the second coming. I suggest cleaning up the old one if you have it. Maybe try another cheap one as they are hit and miss (mostly miss) but super cheap compared to OEM.
newtjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 11:26 AM   #5
crash12888
Gone Crazy

OP said the original carb is not available.
Maybe search out a member who might have one to sell?
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 12:18 PM   #6
kopyone
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtjl View Post
New OEM carbs for the 1982 model are available from country cat for $170. Do you still have the old factory one? As cart around said, the chinese ones are junk and will leave you chasing gremlins and replacing parts until the second coming. I suggest cleaning up the old one if you have it. Maybe try another cheap one as they are hit and miss (mostly miss) but super cheap compared to OEM.

Where are you finding it on country cat? I just searched there and can’t find anything that old.

Old 09-27-2021, 12:48 PM   #7
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

I've heard of peeps claiming they can still get an OEM carb for that kind of money, but when I ask them or the company they got it from about what brand it is they never reply......

Original OEM was 'Mikuni', the cheapie Chinese carbs either won't say any brand on it or they may say 'Mukuni' or 'Makuni'. Personally I've done ok with the cheapies.......

I'd sure feel ripped off if I paid $170 for an advertised OEM and end up with a cheapie Chinese carb for that price, just sayin'. Good luck

EDIT: To the OP, curious where you found the reed valve? I haven't been able to find those anywhere.
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 02:21 PM   #8
kopyone
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabble Inn View Post
I've heard of peeps claiming they can still get an OEM carb for that kind of money, but when I ask them or the company they got it from about what brand it is they never reply......

Original OEM was 'Mikuni', the cheapie Chinese carbs either won't say any brand on it or they may say 'Mukuni' or 'Makuni'. Personally I've done ok with the cheapies.......

I'd sure feel ripped off if I paid $170 for an advertised OEM and end up with a cheapie Chinese carb for that price, just sayin'. Good luck

EDIT: To the OP, curious where you found the reed valve? I haven't been able to find those anywhere.

I got the reeds on eBay. It wasn’t the whole assembly, just the reeds. The metal block they the reeds screw to was still in good shape.

Old 09-27-2021, 06:43 PM   #9
newtjl
Gone Wild

https://www.countrycat.com/arctic-ca...//20071G1//1/y
newtjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 11:43 AM   #10
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

I've looked at that link before, have you or anyone you know ever bought one? I'd just like to verify if it's a real Mikuni or another cheapie Chinese knockoff for that much $$$, the ad doesn't say what it is (other than OEM with a part# lol) and doesn't even show a pic.

Hopefully someone will chime in to verify
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO