lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-25-2007, 10:47 PM   #1
NO NO NO E-Z-GO!
Gone Wild

Default Dumb Engine Swap Question

Do the EH-29 and EH-35 have the same mounting dimensions? That is, will they swap positions readily or are their mounts different?

LVS Sales has a 14 hp modified EH-29 and I was wondering if it would bolt in the place of an EH-35.

The reason I ask this is because one of my customers has a 2005 ST Sport that had the absolute dog feces ran out of it for the past almost three years. It never had the oil changed, they owners would drive by my house and down the road at WOT. When I gave it its first tune up this summer, the oil filter had chunks of metal the size of small Nerds stuck to it with a hair-like substance all around. The compression on the engine is about 130 and it simply will not pull any hills with any more than the driver and a light passenger. The drive belt has been replaced.
NO NO NO E-Z-GO! is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-26-2007, 08:06 AM   #2
CC-John
prop. A$$hole's Garage

Default Re: Dumb Engine Swap Question

No No,

As far as I know, both engines have the same "footprint" and mount the same way.. I entertained the idea of swapping in a modified 350 for the 295 in my '04 2+2.. I just could not justify the cost of these engines, when Tom's Vanny kits are so reasonably priced..
CC-John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 10:49 AM   #3
NO NO NO E-Z-GO!
Gone Wild

14hp Modified EH-29

They say this is a 295 bored to 350 specs with their "XX Cam." Is the 350 nothing more than a bored 295? If not, why couldn't they bore the 350 even larger to gain more ponies?

These people cringed at the thought of a +/- $2,000 replacement EH-35. I couldn't imagine them going for a nearly $2,500 Big Block. To be frank, they can't drive what they have. BUT, there are some hills in the campground that put even the best of the best to work, and even the newer 350s just don't have it in them with 4 people, coolers, dogs, and who knows what else. The same applies to Club Cars and Yamahas. 9 times out of ten, someone has to hop off and walk up.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:59 AM   #4
CC-John
prop. A$$hole's Garage

I have the factory service/parts manual for the Robin engines... The only difference I see between the 295 and 350 is the crankshaft, pistons, and cylinder head.. They both use the same rods.. I was tempted to get a 350 crank and punch my 295 out to the std. 350 bore, but the cost of the parts and machine shop labor was getting to just over half of the Vanny kit... Plus, I would still have the same finicky Robin engine... At least with the vanny, parts are cheap and plentiful, unlike the Robin engines...

Last edited by CC-John; 12-26-2007 at 11:00 AM.. Reason: punctuation
CC-John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 11:53 AM   #5
NO NO NO E-Z-GO!
Gone Wild

And the Vanguards are FAST.
I have a rebuild manual to the Robin engines too. I haven't looked into it that much, but I may be using it to rebuild the borderline engine.

I do recall that when the psi drops to 125, a rebuild should be considered. 130psi from an engine that should have around 165-170 that's only two and a half years old is a little bit extreme.
Old 12-26-2007, 03:44 PM   #6
ruredy
Born Wild

The footprint is the same for both engines, The bore and STROKE are different as are the blocks. THe 350 is not just a bored out 295, and yes you can build the 350 for even more power, although the short stroke of the 295 makes it spin up a little faster. There is something thats should be changed when swapping the engines for one/another but I don't remember right off what it is. It's something stupid like a choke cable bracket or something like that.
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 03:47 PM   #7
NO NO NO E-Z-GO!
Gone Wild

Thanks for the replies.

How much is attainable from a 350cc in the horsepower department?
Old 12-26-2007, 03:56 PM   #8
ruredy
Born Wild

How much do you want to spend on it? The 295 head replacement is an easy 5+ hp gain and you could probably hook that up for $100 if you can find a head for around $75. Thats around what I see them sell for.
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 04:05 PM   #9
NO NO NO E-Z-GO!
Gone Wild

"I" don't care how much is spent on it. I am sure the "owner" cares though.

The only reason I am leaning towards a new engine altogether is because of the amount of metal and aluminum sucked against the oil filter. Something is chipping somewhere in the engine and it's worrying the owners and me too. Going down a hill, the thing holds back nothing. You can take your foot off the gas at 10 mph and at the bottom of a medium grade, 500 foot hill, it's barely controllable ---with--- one's foot planted firmly on the brake. There is no engine braking at all; it just spins and spins and spins.

I'll have to take a look at it and talk to the owners. The only thing I don't like about the LVS engine is that I have to send a core back. I have to pay shipping and $1,550 to get an engine that's not a whole lot better than the one that's in it was when new.
Old 12-26-2007, 04:52 PM   #10
caddymankc
WILD

E-Z-GO

How hard are the ezgo engines to tear apart, did the metal peices look like part of the rings?
caddymankc is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO