lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-09-2008, 02:28 PM   #1
30-A rider
Getting Wild

Default Converter installation

I have recently pruchased a 48 to 12 volt converter to run items Im installing which include street legal necessities (headlights, tail lights, blinkers, horn, brake lights. Maybe one day will install a radio). This installation is going on my 2003 Club Cart.

My question is has anyone done this?

If so any words of adivce and or recomendations before I begin installion using pathetic instructions provided with the part?
30-A rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-09-2008, 06:40 PM   #2
buckmanmike
Gone Wild

Default Re: Converter installation

I have same cart. I was wondering if better to get the voltage reducer or add 12v battery for accessories. Some of the prices I've seen for v reducers you could buy a separate battery. What's ya'll experience.
buckmanmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 11:24 PM   #3
mturkett
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Install converter. 1 fused wire to positive of battery #6 and 1 to negative of battery #1. Two other wires go to the pos/neg of lights. If it has a fifth wire it goes to the dead side of the key switch. Make sure it is on the dead side (non hot side with the key off). Converters always pull a small amount of current even if the accessories are off.

Problem with adding an extra 12 volt battery is where to put it. Also, you have to charge it separately from the rest of the cart's pack.
mturkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 01:25 PM   #4
30-A rider
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by mturkett View Post
Install converter. 1 fused wire to positive of battery #6 and 1 to negative of battery #1. Two other wires go to the pos/neg of lights. If it has a fifth wire it goes to the dead side of the key switch. Make sure it is on the dead side (non hot side with the key off). Converters always pull a small amount of current even if the accessories are off.

Problem with adding an extra 12 volt battery is where to put it. Also, you have to charge it separately from the rest of the cart's pack.

Ok but what about brake light switch, what about blinkers, what if I wanted to install a radio? Does all of this get installed off of the key switch when in on position? Im an electric idiot so I need it spelled out.

Thanks much for your reply!
30-A rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 06:43 PM   #5
mturkett
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

If you are installing more than 1 accessory then I would suggest that the positive and negative from the converter are connected to a distribution/fuse block. Then your accessories can be wired to the other end of the distribution/fuse block.

If the converter has the fifth wire that goes to the dead side of the key switch (some don't) then the converter will be off when the key is off, which effectively turns off the accessories.

Make sure you don't run too many accessories at once. Some converters are only rated for 10 amps and headlights, tail lights, blinkers, radio, etc. all on at once will overload it.
mturkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car