lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-09-2013, 04:38 PM   #1
dirttoo
Not Yet Wild

Default Whats wrong with my G2? video

My '89 G2 barely runs and sounds terrible. I did a compression check and it is 120. Sounds low, what should it be? Help please

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pMfO...ature=youtu.be
dirttoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-09-2013, 04:55 PM   #2
topshelf333
Getting Wild

Sounds like low compression to me. I'm not sure what the compression on your cart should be, but that's my guess on what's the problem. With it at full throttle does it even have enough power to move the cart?

Have you pulled the belt off to see how easy it turns over?
topshelf333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:58 PM   #3
topshelf333
Getting Wild

If I had to guess of would say your compression should be somewhere around 180, but hopefully some of the Yamaha guys can answer that "officially" and clear things up for you.
topshelf333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:33 PM   #4
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Whats wrong with my G2? video

Check and set the valves first, you can make a new gasket if it tears.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:45 PM   #5
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Sounds like your ignotion is firing wrong. Your negative battery cable runs directly to the starter/generator brush plate, Yamaha pigtailed a smaller 18 gauge wire at the eye let witch is the main ground for the wireharness, cut the 18 gauge wire off and put a wire eye end on it and attatch it to the terminal with the main negative wire. Make shure the buillit/snap connection is free of corrossion and making good contact at the wire harness connection. Check both positive and negative fuses (to the right of your battery on the inner rear fender), also make shure there's power going thru the fuse holder. Then unhook the (jerryrigged/damaged) air box, unhook the airbox hose at the carb and fold it out of the way. Sorry for the long post, but could be alot of things. PS, 120 lbs is low, should be 155 to 175 with a strong cranking battery and the carb throttle shaft at wide open throttle. I see you have a charger hooked up to the battery, could the battery have gone bad and has reversed polarity? Like DOOm's said cant hurt to adjust valves .004 thousanths (both intake and exhaust, when the engine is cold). Good luck.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:08 PM   #6
dirttoo
Not Yet Wild

Thanks guys, I will do the valves tomorrow. Smallblock, I will try to comprehend what you are saying about the wiring by looking at it tomorrow. I tried two different batteries and neither are very good, that's why it's on the charger also. I will try a new battery. I did not check the compression at full throttle, it was at idle. I didn't know to do that. I will try that again tomorrow also.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:13 PM   #7
dirttoo
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by topshelf333 View Post
Sounds like low compression to me. I'm not sure what the compression on your cart should be, but that's my guess on what's the problem. With it at full throttle does it even have enough power to move the cart?

Have you pulled the belt off to see how easy it turns over?
No, It doesn't have enough power to drive it. It idles and if you try to rev it it will rev up just a little and then die out and you let off the gas a little it runs again. I had the belt off and the motor sounds the same.

Maybe I should have kept that Club Car but I wanted a gasser.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:42 PM   #8
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Has this cart ever run well for you? Just curious what has changed if it has....
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:58 PM   #9
dirttoo
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
Has this cart ever run well for you? Just curious what has changed if it has....
No, I bought it not running from a friend of a friend. I was told he was driving it on his property and the motor died and wouldn't start again. They towed it back to the house and it sat about a year before I got it. I saw a terminal broke off of the solenoid so I replaced the solenoid and it stated pretty easy but ran very bad. I changed the spark plug. It had a NGK BPR5ES in it so that's what I put back in it but no change in performance. I am trying to drain the gas and put fresh in. The gas is over a year old. Is there an easy way to drain it? I used a siphon pump to get most but I would like to really drain the tank out and start fresh.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:09 AM   #10
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

The gas is over a year old. Is there an easy way to drain it? I used a siphon pump to get most but I would like to really drain the tank out and start fresh.

Time to pull the carb and clean with some gumout and welding torch tip cleaners.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha