lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-07-2015, 10:27 AM   #1
Big Daddy MKG
Not Yet Wild

Default 1999 e-z-go txt (dcs) growling sound

I have a new issue with my 1999 E-Z-GO TXT (DCS). As I engage the accelerator, particularly on any kind of incline, the cart makes a growling sound and I notice a reduction in power. When I reach flat ground, the cart gradually increases speed, the noise disappears, and all is well.

This will show my age, but my inherited golf cart now has all the get-up-and-go of the inherited, aging Desoto in which I learned to drive!
Big Daddy MKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-07-2015, 11:34 AM   #2
Klunky Chris
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1999 e-z-go txt (dcs) growling sound

Until more experienced voices chime in, I would suggest jacking up the rear and spinning the tires by hand.

Check to see if it moves freely or makes a similar noise. The opposite tire should turn in the opposite direction at about the same speed.

At least this would give you some more information and point toward brakes axle/differential bearings, or a motor problem.

Of course you should do the standard checks. Battery voltage, loose or corroded battery and motor cables etc.

Also, you could try to reproduce the problem on your hill then check the temp of all wires batteries and motor immediately afterward. See if anything is hot.
Klunky Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 08:01 PM   #3
devybob
Gone Wild

I had that exact thing happen to me,and after a long time even trying to figure out what was going on I traced it to my left rear wheel. The problem finally came down to my wheel bearing not being tightened down enough. They have to be TIGHT! Problem was fixed.
devybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 11:18 AM   #4
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

A common problem on EZGOs is the rear hubs strip. So the motor spins, the axle spins but the hub doesn't transfer the energy well (or at all) to the wheel. Have someone sit in the cart and with the hub caps off have them press the brake and give it a little gas while you are beside the cart. Grinding noises should ensue and if you see the axle spinning but the tire not, then you have found your issue.

Don't do it for too long as you are creating a Stall situation and don't want to overheat the motor.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 01:23 PM   #5
Big Daddy MKG
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the welcome....and thanks to all for your responses. Although my wife and I play golf only occasionally, we have kept the 16-year old E-Z-GO because it belonged to my late father-n-law. We have agreed there is a limit to what we will spend repairing a cart this age, but we will take the next step in that direction, armed with your helpful suggestions.
Big Daddy MKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 06:11 PM   #6
kroy1968
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

My growling came from the input shaft on my rear end.
kroy1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO