lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-09-2019, 03:55 PM   #1
Ransom276
Not Yet Wild

Default Ezgo 6x6

I thinking of adding another ezgo back half to my ezgo txt. Pretty much adding another motor axle and all. My questions are this could I piggy back my wires off off my existing motor to the added on motor and just use one controller. I’m pretty sure two motor will have a lot of battery/ amp draw upon take off. Just wondering if it’s doable or if I need to think of another route. Will have upgraded everything installed while being built. What voltage should I run? Do I run two separate controllers and battery packs? Just wanting to build something different. I see the 4x4 post but I want to build a tank so to speak. Any and all help will be great!!
Ransom276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-09-2019, 08:18 PM   #2
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Default Re: Ezgo 6x6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransom276 View Post
I thinking of adding another ezgo back half to my ezgo txt. Pretty much adding another motor axle and all. My questions are this could I piggy back my wires off off my existing motor to the added on motor and just use one controller. I’m pretty sure two motor will have a lot of battery/ amp draw upon take off. Just wondering if it’s doable or if I need to think of another route. Will have upgraded everything installed while being built. What voltage should I run? Do I run two separate controllers and battery packs? Just wanting to build something different. I see the 4x4 post but I want to build a tank so to speak. Any and all help will be great!!
Do not know what size your wires are, but I would think you would probably need a bigger gauge if they were 4 or 6ga (or maybe even 2). Also, do not know what amp your controller is rated, but you would likely have to upgrade that as well.

The ultimate level of upgrade you need would depend on what you have now AND what you plan to do with this. You can get buy with a lot less if you are just building it to show. However, if you want to be able to use all this power, you are definitely need upgrades.

I once saw a man put 8 brand new 6v T-105 golf cart batteries in a full time FWD BBB, he got 30 minutes of run time and was not happy. Fortunately he was able to sell those batteries and buy the proper ones.
rockfordpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 08:55 PM   #3
Ransom276
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the reply. It will be for both show and go. I know everything will need to be upgraded but....what I’m not sure about is if I get the biggest controller alltrax or whoever offers would it run both motors. I know one motor draws a lot of current when accelerating. Was sure if the amp draw would kick the controllers out and show low voltage or something. Just trying to do some research and get a game plan for a winter project. Any suggestions or threads or forums would be a big help. I know it can be done and probably several different ways to be honest. It’s going to be on 26 inch off road tires with a bed in the back.
Old 11-10-2019, 04:34 AM   #4
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Well this is definitely beyond my electrical guruness...

I think the main problem using one controller, would be that at times, (going up hill and wheel slip), the controller/motors will call for/send current at the same time. Let alone at "normal" cruising, they would call for/want to send different amounts of current. I would assume this would be more than the controller, solenoid, fuse, cables, etc. would be able to handle.

Like I say, this is beyond my electrical knowledge, to say the least. If anyone on here would be able to shed light on this idea, I'd guess it to be Sergio or JohnnieB. In this case, it would probably be JohnnieB, as he seems to be more knowledgeable in the EZGO systems.

Certainly interesting, and I would be interested to see you do it!
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 04:39 AM   #5
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. It will be for both show and go. I know everything will need to be upgraded but....what I’m not sure about is if I get the biggest controller alltrax or whoever offers would it run both motors. I know one motor draws a lot of current when accelerating. Was sure if the amp draw would kick the controllers out and show low voltage or something. Just trying to do some research and get a game plan for a winter project. Any suggestions or threads or forums would be a big help. I know it can be done and probably several different ways to be honest. It’s going to be on 26 inch off road tires with a bed in the back.
Two motors and tires that big will require MAJOR upgrades on ALL high amp components. I think Navitas made a 1000 amp controller that was used to run two motors on a BBB, not sure what the largest Alltrax makes. IMO you are looking at well over $1000 on just the upgraded controller.

For what you are doing, I would look closely at the way the BBB 4wd was designed for specs and design. No need to re-deign or re-invent the wheel for something that has already been engineered (and I use that term loosely when referring to a BBB)
Old 11-10-2019, 05:04 AM   #6
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Another route you may want to consider, would be hub motors. I have not looked into it for quite a while.

I know madjax and a company by the name silverwolf at one time were offering systems. However, if memory serves, these were for Club Car systems. Basically to make your cart 4wd and would, for lack of a better way of saying it, "communicate" with your main controller. They were very expensive.
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 07:12 AM   #7
Ransom276
Not Yet Wild

BBBHC and rockforpi thank you for your input. I have sent Scotty by a pm and seeing if he can point me in the right direction. I have looked at the 4x4 conversions by mad Jax and silver line. They would be simpler to install but they are very expensive. Plus I havnt seem any one build a cart like this and well....I just want to build it. Lol. I wouldn’t be against two controllers tuning the motors and I’m even thinking about putting one motor on a riocker switch to be able to turn on and off when needed.
Old 11-10-2019, 12:13 PM   #8
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Quote:
BBBHC and rockforpi thank you for your input. I have sent Scotty by a pm and seeing if he can point me in the right direction. I have looked at the 4x4 conversions by mad Jax and silver line. They would be simpler to install but they are very expensive. Plus I havnt seem any one build a cart like this and well....I just want to build it. Lol. I wouldn’t be against two controllers tuning the motors and I’m even thinking about putting one motor on a riocker switch to be able to turn on and off when needed.
For what you are doing, it seems like you would need to be able to synchronize the motor speed (unless maybe you only use the 4wd in slippery conditions). Not sure If you used a 2 controller/ 2 Solenoid setup how close they can be calibrated or how close they would need to be.

You also would need to think about either splitting the throttle signal to serve two controllers or putting two throttle pedal sensors on it.

Also, need to make sure you avoid the possibility where one controller is in forward and one in reverse at the same time.

I think the silverwolf setup mentioned above was plug-n-play via a built in adapter to a single Navitas controller. All the Navitas Controller adapters/harnesses use to come with a connector to connect directly to the Silverwolf system. However, I heard Navitas and Silverwolf had a nasty divorce and I am not sure if Silverwolf even sells these systems anymore.
Old 11-10-2019, 12:20 PM   #9
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Or just put a idle axle in there and buy a wench
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 12:30 PM   #10
Ransom276
Not Yet Wild

Rockfordpi I know what you are saying about being able to synchronize both controllers and motors and I think that would be a challenge. That’s why I’m really hoping to get away with just one monster controller. If I have to do a two controller set up I’m just going to spice into the wire at existing controller so the solenoid and its work both at same time. However if I do two controllers I’m going to wire a on/Off rocker switch to be able to turn on and off when I need to. One controller would def be the best and simplest route if I can find one that can handle two motors. The more research I do and I’m learning I think I’m going to try one controller first and if it fails to work like I want I will look into adding a second controller. I will have a winch on the cart but I want that added axle to be a live axle not a dead axle
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO