lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-15-2019, 12:55 PM   #1
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default New D&D motor field map

Buddy just got a new D&D motor model 170-501-0001. Thought it would use the standard PDS map but thinking now that is incorrect. Controller is an Alltrax DCX400. Plan on putting it in today and will run it a few seconds to validate everything is working but thinking I need a new map.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-15-2019, 01:29 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: New D&D motor field map

I'm pretty sure there are more than one map for a D&D 170-501-001, but it'll run enough on a stock PDS map to verify it works.

The issues will be poor performance and higher motor heat gain.

My D&D motor was a dog on the stock PDS map (EZPDS) and a screamer on the ES79-51 map.

On Monday, you should be able to get the maps from Alltrax or D&D or wherever motor came from.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 01:39 PM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Oops, I just noticed the DCX controller.
Stock PDS motor is Map#4
D&D 5010001 motor is Map#52
Old 12-15-2019, 01:46 PM   #4
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Has map 4 now but I will call d&d tomorrow. Problem with original motor was heat related. It was a Bandit until he melted it. Thanks jb
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 02:18 PM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

I'm not sure if I ran Map#4 or Map#2 with my ES-76-51 motor when I was running a DCX500 and the field map in use wasn't printed on the DCX data log files like it is on the XCT data log files.

Do your friend and his motor a favor and talk him into upgrading to a XCT controller.

Actually, it depends on whether he has a PDS cart or a DCS cart. With a DCS, it doesn't make much difference, but with a PDS the XCT, motor RPM influences the field mapping and more amps are pushed through the field at lower RPMs while fewer amps at higher RPM, so the motor leans further towards a torque motor at low speed and leans further towards a speed motor at high speed.

------------
No surprise on melting a Bandit, they have the same heat dissipation as a stock PDS motor. The 170-501-0001 has a longer case and will dissipate more heat. Of course the idea is to keep motor heat as low as possible.
Old 03-05-2021, 08:54 AM   #6
UroGator
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
I'm pretty sure there are more than one map for a D&D 170-501-001, but it'll run enough on a stock PDS map to verify it works.

The issues will be poor performance and higher motor heat gain.

My D&D motor was a dog on the stock PDS map (EZPDS) and a screamer on the ES79-51 map.

On Monday, you should be able to get the maps from Alltrax or D&D or wherever motor came from.
Hey Johnnie, can you share the ES79-51 field map with me? Thanks.
UroGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 11:36 AM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by UroGator View Post
Hey Johnnie, can you share the ES79-51 field map with me? Thanks.
I must have fumbled finger the keyboard when I posted that over a year ago.

It is a ES76-51 map from Alltrax and D&D doesn't like it very much since it drops the field amps way below their motor's field weakening limitations map. (Attached)

Going below 3A of field current when the armature is drawing less than 100A is a no-no and I've seen the field amps to go below 1A on some of the data logs I've recorded. As a result the ES-76-51 motor runs hot and could easily overheat at sustained high RPM, so I monitor motor temperature and I used the XCT's speed limit function to RPM limit the motor to a max cart speed of 25MPH on 17" tall tires. Motor still runs hot, but not dangerously so.

I cannot in good conscious attach it to a post on the open forum since anyone could download it and possibly burn up their motor if they used it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ES-76-51 fld lim map0001.jpg (251.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-05-2021, 12:31 PM   #8
UroGator
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
I must have fumbled finger the keyboard when I posted that over a year ago.

It is a ES76-51 map from Alltrax and D&D doesn't like it very much since it drops the field amps way below their motor's field weakening limitations map. (Attached)

Going below 3A of field current when the armature is drawing less than 100A is a no-no and I've seen the field amps to go below 1A on some of the data logs I've recorded. As a result the ES-76-51 motor runs hot and could easily overheat at sustained high RPM, so I monitor motor temperature and I used the XCT's speed limit function to RPM limit the motor to a max cart speed of 25MPH on 17" tall tires. Motor still runs hot, but not dangerously so.

I cannot in good conscious attach it to a post on the open forum since anyone could download it and possibly burn up their motor if they used it.
Gotcha. So what field map are you using now for the ES-76-51?
Old 03-05-2021, 04:43 PM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by UroGator View Post
Gotcha. So what field map are you using now for the ES-76-51?
ES76-51. The one I was talking about. I've got the max RPM in the XCT dialed back to about 6200RPM, so the field amps don't drop down as low as it did when I had the limit set to max (8000RPM) which allowed my motor to spin at max rpm for 42Vbattery pack (About 7000RPM).

The reason my ES-76-51 motor will spin so fast is a combination of tiny tires (17" overall height), cart has very little drag and a field map that weakens the field far more than the motor manufacturer recommends.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg es7651-map.jpg (168.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-05-2021, 04:49 PM   #10
UroGator
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
ES76-51. The one I was talking about. I've got the max RPM in the XCT dialed back to about 6200RPM, so the field amps don't drop down as low as it did when I had the limit set to max (8000RPM) which allowed my motor to spin at max rpm for 42Vbattery pack (About 7000RPM).

The reason my ES-76-51 motor will spin so fast is a combination of tiny tires (17" overall height), cart has very little drag and a field map that weakens the field far more than the motor manufacturer recommends.
Sent you PM
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO