lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-06-2013, 01:09 PM   #1
jheinz
Not Yet Wild

Default Growling and grinding sound from rear wheel of E-Z Go golf cart

I have a growling and grinding sound coming from the right rear wheel on my 1999 E-Z Go Freedom Electric Golf Car. The repair man says it's not the bearing. All bearings were cleaned and packed 1 year ago. He's checked the brakes, the wheel, bearing and differential all seem OK. Do you have any ideas or suggestions? Please advise.
/
John
jheinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-06-2013, 01:29 PM   #2
rib33024

Default Re: Growling and grinding sound from rear wheel of E-Z Go golf cart

Welcome to BGW

sounds like a striped brake hub,

you have to be able to see the castle nut in the middle of your rear wheels, if you have a center cap covering the nut, you need to remove it, when you can see the castle nut holding the hub on the axle, --- this will take two people to do, one of you put your foot on the brake and push the go pedal easy, JUST for a second, and the other needs to see if the NUT in the middle of the wheel is spinning, and the wheel is not, start with the driver side, but check both , this is a common problem with ezgo, let us know what you find, its a easy fix if this is your problem.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...-spinning.html
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:29 PM   #3
Thatsme?
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jheinz View Post
I have a growling and grinding sound coming from the right rear wheel on my 1999 E-Z Go Freedom Electric Golf Car. The repair man says it's not the bearing. All bearings were cleaned and packed 1 year ago. He's checked the brakes, the wheel, bearing and differential all seem OK. Do you have any ideas or suggestions? Please advise.
/
John
Does a Freedom cart have packable rear wheel bearings?
Stripped hub as said, brakes parts loose, loose wheel.
If the cart will drive I would bet on wheel bearing if the noise is at the hub.
Thatsme? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:56 PM   #4
Great white north
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I too have

the same grinding sound from drivers side , normally goes away when pedal is pushed lately it is there all the time , I originally ( in Summer) tighten lug nuts on chrome rims and it went away , now out hunting it pops up again
So you r U saying it's a striped hub occurring
Do not mean to hi-jack thread
Cheers !
Great white north is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:02 PM   #5
rib33024

Yeah if it's driving it shouldn't be the hub, sounds like a bearing or the tire rubbing on something, and why couldn't the repair man tell you what the problem was? the rear bearings are not packable they are sealed bearings, you can pack the front only, they are only 14 years old
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:10 PM   #6
Thatsme?
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Test the wheels as RIB33024 said in previous post or pull the hub and look at the splines and feel of the wheel bearings and brakes. Torque castle nut to 70 - 140 ft lbs. tighten to 70 and then just enough more to put cotter pin in the castle nut on axle maximum 140.
Thatsme? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 05:24 PM   #7
azTony
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsme? View Post
Test the wheels as RIB33024 said in previous post or pull the hub and look at the splines and feel of the wheel bearings and brakes. Torque castle nut to 70 - 140 ft lbs. tighten to 70 and then just enough more to put cotter pin in the castle nut on axle maximum 140.
Is this the same for a 1996 EZGO? The manual is driving me crazy trying to find torque specs!
azTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 05:31 PM   #8
MuckSavage
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

You can probably google "jeep AMC model 20 stripped hub" for a lot more info (exact same setup)
MuckSavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO