lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-29-2020, 11:58 PM   #11
Largemouth21
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Ignition Electronics fried, bad voltage regulator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trig123 View Post
Which parts are you referring to ?
When it is running did you check to see how many volts this cart is charging ?
Where are getting these parts ?
Let’s just say the cart is overcharging for whatever reason, can that cause the pulsar to burn out? Or is that something that wouldn’t be affected
Largemouth21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-30-2020, 11:36 AM   #12
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

I would say no.

I have a cart that the voltage regulator was bad. The cart had been worked on for weeks before I got it trying to make it run over 3 mph.

I bought it because they give up on it thinking the engine was bad. It almost fooled me on what was wrong with it.

I drove it several times and finally found out it was way overcharging. I think 17 to 18 volts going to battery.

I unplugged green field wire and the thing flew. It didn't hurt anything with the ignition. I use this cart everyday and only replaced the V/R.

Looking at the wiring diagram I see no way it would harm the pulser coil. Maybe someone else has an opinion ? I know overcharging didn't hurt mine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EZGO WIRING.jpg (65.9 KB, 0 views)
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 11:17 PM   #13
Largemouth21
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by trig123 View Post
I would say no.

I have a cart that the voltage regulator was bad. The cart had been worked on for weeks before I got it trying to make it run over 3 mph.

I bought it because they give up on it thinking the engine was bad. It almost fooled me on what was wrong with it.

I drove it several times and finally found out it was way overcharging. I think 17 to 18 volts going to battery.

I unplugged green field wire and the thing flew. It didn't hurt anything with the ignition. I use this cart everyday and only replaced the V/R.

Looking at the wiring diagram I see no way it would harm the pulser coil. Maybe someone else has an opinion ? I know overcharging didn't hurt mine.
I see what you’re saying, thanks for the reply. I read a couple other threads in which people had issues with ignition stuff burning out. It had some”ignition parts” put on it by a shop a year or so ago. Then it ran fine for a couple weeks and quit running again. I put on a coil and igniter and it ran great for about the same amount of time and quit running again, this time with no spark instead of weak spark. I’m pretty sure the grounds and everything are fine, hasn’t even sat long enough to corrode anything. Boss ordered the parts again, as well as a voltage regulator, going to install this weekend. I’m crossing my fingers lol
Largemouth21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 08:42 AM   #14
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Largemouth21 View Post
I see what you’re saying, thanks for the reply. I read a couple other threads in which people had issues with ignition stuff burning out. It had some”ignition parts” put on it by a shop a year or so ago. Then it ran fine for a couple weeks and quit running again. I put on a coil and igniter and it ran great for about the same amount of time and quit running again, this time with no spark instead of weak spark. I’m pretty sure the grounds and everything are fine, hasn’t even sat long enough to corrode anything. Boss ordered the parts again, as well as a voltage regulator, going to install this weekend. I’m crossing my fingers lol
If these parts are not OEM from an ezgo dealer or known good used OEM then I can see if they don't last.
I always use OEM on these ignition parts and never have issues like yours. Most don't want to pay what they cost and end up with the cheaper china version. Just my thoughts.
Old 12-02-2020, 08:42 AM   #15
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

The pulsar coil does NOT get a power feed from the charging system or battery on the cart, so an overcharge condition will not affect the pulsar itself. It generates a small signal voltage, by way of the flywheel spinning past the pulsar. That signal gives the ignitor the trigger for timing for the spark. The ignition coil and the ignitor ARE powered through the charging system and battery, but I've never seen them "burned out" by a stuck regulator. I have seen them malfunction due to incorrect voltage present, but they worked fine after the regulator was taken care of.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 08:50 AM   #16
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by meimk View Post
The pulsar coil does NOT get a power feed from the charging system or battery on the cart, so an overcharge condition will not affect the pulsar itself. It generates a small signal voltage, by way of the flywheel spinning past the pulsar. That signal gives the ignitor the trigger for timing for the spark. The ignition coil and the ignitor ARE powered through the charging system and battery, but I've never seen them "burned out" by a stuck regulator. I have seen them malfunction due to incorrect voltage present, but they worked fine after the regulator was taken care of.
You are correct meimk. He had asked me if the pulser coil could burned out and like you I see no way but yes overcharging can trash the ignitor.

I once burnt up an ignitor when trying to crank a cart on my 220 amp charger set on the start mode. That one cost me only once.

Sometimes you get lucky and the one I own was one of them. It was charging close to 18 volts for quite some time and didn't hurt anyway.

My cart that was overcharging also had a bad ground. Plate where the ignitor and V/R mounts was very rusty. Cable had been replaced with car cable and the end was also rusty.

Got to be clean.

I might also check plug wires to make sure you see the part in plug boot that connects to spark plug. I have seen them pushed up in boot and never went correctly on plug. Could cause a spike. Got to protect that expensive ignitor.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO