lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-27-2020, 09:41 PM   #1
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Difference between MCI and preMCI and 295 and 350 carbs

Anyone know how to tell the difference between MCI and PreMCI and 295 and 350 carbs for Robins engines?
JPonLKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-28-2020, 12:09 AM   #2
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Difference between MCI and preMCI and 295 and 350 carbs

The will interchange. I have an MCI carburetor on a pre mci engine and it runs fine.
The 350 has a larger main jet .
Which one you got ?
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 07:46 AM   #3
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I have three carbs, one for a 295 and two for 350s. I am trying to find out if they are pre or post MCI...just put a MCI 295 in the smaller MPT, rebuilt engine, but I put what is supposed to be a 350 carb on it. It runs terrible. I was hoping I could learn how to decipher quickly the differences. I think they are all aftermarket. The 295 carb ran great on the preMCI 295 for the short time it ran. These 350 carbs...not so much on pre MCI 350s or MCI 295s.
I am also questioning this "rebuild". There is a faint knock that comes and goes while its running. I need to get a stethoscope today....figure out where it is coming from.
Old 01-24-2022, 08:35 PM   #4
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Ok, I'm fighting with a "Rich" issue on my 350 Pre-MCI workhorse. I figured it was the carb, and it certainly was part of the problem. I just replaced the carb. I got a cheap junk carb, so it may still be the carb. Exhaust is much better, but still smells rich, and I don't seem to have the power (all 11 HP). The exhaust is much louder than the other carts I have had, and I am thinking maybe the muffler is part of the issue, but Louder doesn't make sense if it isn't flowing freely.

Open to thoughts, where should I look?
Old 01-25-2022, 06:03 AM   #5
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

First thing I would check is that the float valve is working correctly and closing off fully, the try running it without the air filter to see if it makes a difference. A clogged filter can make it run rich. Also make sure the main jet is tight in its seat. I don't know if you still have access to spare parts, but you could always try a different muffler. Yours may have fuel soaked into carbon making it smell! Also check your spark plug colors. It will tell you how the air/gas mixture is.

EDIT.Make sure the choke is closing fully too.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 09:51 AM   #6
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Two different carbs, same issue, so not likely float, choke, etc. Definitely not the choke, as I checked it's operation when installing the new carb. I'll have to pull the carb and check the float, and main jet. The old carb jet was buggered up, so couldn't get it out, but if anything, I would expect a lean condition from that more than I would rich.
I still have access to what is left in the "junk" pile at the course, but haven't been there in a while. It's a bit of a drive, and haven't been playing golf due to cold weather. I have a bunch of stuff I need to return to the pile, and planned on picking one up when I go.

Another symptom I noticed was white grease in the crank case vent hose. While it is likely just oil blow by through the vent and turned white from condensation, but consistency was grease like. What causes the oil to blow by the crank case vent? Pressure in the crank case from combustion I would think, but from what? This thing was a re-built engine and has good compression, or at least it did. Is it more likely rings, or valve seals?
Old 01-25-2022, 10:02 AM   #7
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Ok. Think on this. Yes mayo in the vent is emulsified oil from condensation or water vapour. Not usually an issue as it clears itself when oil gets hot most of the time. It could be rising in the vent due to ring blow by but I'm looking back to air filtration again. It is known that if air is being starved, the induction will try to get air from somewhere else. That usually means the crankcase vent in most cases and will pull oil up the pipe attached to the airbox. In bad cases it can pull it back through the carb and burn making your cart look like a crop duster 😆
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO