lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-09-2009, 06:37 AM   #1
Cessna75
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Drive Belt Suggestions

Hi Again my smarter-than-me friends!

I finally got to set the new Powermax 16HP in my 87 Club Car last night and the belt I bought from CPP appears to be too long even after I removed the mount plate bolts and slid the engine as far forward as it would go.

I didn't know if I should mess with the mount plate bolts and I think I'd really prefer to bolt the new motor to the plate like the old one was and leave the 4 bolts and rubber dampner alone that mount the plate to the subframe.

The EZ-GO 88-91 belt I was trying to us is 1 3/16 x 41. I have the comet 780 on the Powermax and had my rear comet driven clutch machined by Tom to accept the 1 3/16 belt, but now it looks like I need to find a shorter belt that is still 1 3/16 wide.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Also, is anyone looking for a brand new EZ-GO 88-91 belt? lol
Cessna75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-09-2009, 09:23 AM   #2
dock98
doin it in the desert

Yamaha

Default Re: Drive Belt Suggestions

have you tried using the belt or just looked at it.sometimes they look too long but that can be deceiving?good luck.
dock98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 10:58 AM   #3
Cessna75
Getting Wild

Club Car

I haven't fired it up yet since I'm still in the process of doing a full rebuild and haven't mounted the engine. It was so long that I could easily with one finger tip lift the belt off the driven clutch. If I push down to on the top of the belt until i get tension, I can push all the way down until the belt touches itself on the bottom side.
Old 06-09-2009, 02:17 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

sounds a little too long to me.... are you getting clearance between the transaxle and the starter connections? Might just be a matter of slotting the mounts a little further forward? How much more room do you have to go forward and how much behind? You can find belts just about any length at a snowmobile belt supplier but you will pay dearly for some odd sized ones....Yamaha runs a 39" but, I think that will be too small
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 06:37 AM   #5
Cessna75
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
.... are you getting clearance between the transaxle and the starter connections? Might just be a matter of slotting the mounts a little further forward? How much more room do you have to go forward and how much behind?
With the bolts and rubber dampners still in place that hold the mounting plate to the subframe, and the motor pushed right up to those bolts, the transaxle just barely touches the rubber boot that covers the starter connections. Think that would be ok? Its a pretty thick rubber boot over that connector.

If I mount the engine where it seems to fit best, then try to find a belt that fits, is there a way to come up with the right length belt by measuring the center-to-center distance of my clutches?
Old 06-10-2009, 08:13 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I recently put a 13hp max in a 95 carryall and hit the same problem.... I didn't like the way it fit in there at all. I ended up removing the rubber mounts in front and re-drilling mount holes to move the motor forward and then bolting thru the two pieces. It was the only way I could see to do it. You cannot have less than 1/2 inch clear to that rubber boot over the POSITIVE starter cable to the grounded transaxle...good luck
Old 06-10-2009, 10:05 AM   #7
Cessna75
Getting Wild

Club Car

That was the direction I was thinking I would go, I just needed the reassurance! Which belt did you end up putting on after you moved the engine forward?
Old 06-10-2009, 10:42 AM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I ended up ordering one from a snowmobil place in WI
No mater what size belt you get .... you won't have any adjustment for when it stretches unless you slot the mounting holes..... I had a thread on this called http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-c...-carryall.html I think you will find belt info in the thread....I am not a real big fan of this conversion. Good Luck

....below is a cross reference for finding belts by size:

http://www.gobigparts.com/store/driv...s/crossref.PDF

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/cata...V-Belt%2BGATES
Old 06-10-2009, 01:09 PM   #9
mrwheels83
Not Yet Wild

I have a ez go cart with a yammi rearend and a 8 hp briggs, and I try to fit the proper belt. How do I measure for the size belt. I was relived to get the chart above so I can order one, just dont know how to measure the belt. Thanks for any help.
mrwheels83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 02:54 PM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The belt length is an O.D. measured with a cloth tape or string length marked and then compared to a metal tape. If no belt is avail I have found you can measure with a cloth tape around the center hub of the drive clutch and then around the outside (largest dimension) of the driven clutch. TAKE THIS MEASUEMENT AND ADD 2 INCHES FOR THE BELT SIZE .... hope this helps both of you....
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car