lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-02-2009, 08:10 PM   #1
PIB-My-Ride
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Adding a few mph's to stock DS

I want to add only about 4 mph to the stock 11.9 MPH top speed of this cart.

I’ve read about lengthening the accelerator rod, disabling the limiter, zip-ties on the governor spring, loosening the nut on the governor arm and on another site, tying-back the carb-side of the governor arm.

I first loosened the nut at the pivot post on the governor arm. I also gave it a “small” (maybe?) shot of WD-40. Top speed went to the 14 mph range, but at that point, the governor (or could it be the limiter going that slow?) kicks in and she coasts back to 11-12 mph before regaining power.

Then I re-tightened the nut and went to the zip ties to the spring method. It’s still doing the same thing, so I’m confused. The ties may not be right – working alone I skipped the part of holding the pedal down in maintenance mode to determine the point of shutdown…

I think my biggest problem is not understanding how the governor works in the first place. Is the transaxle post spinning, torqueing the arm? It looks too simple to be as accurate as it is.

What should my next steps be to achieve a governed 15-16 mph?
PIB-My-Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-03-2009, 12:39 AM   #2
mjrowley
Gone Wild

Default Re: Adding a few mph's to stock DS

www.chiaobama.com will guide you...

ETA:

What year and Motor do you have?
mjrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 07:09 AM   #3
PIB-My-Ride
Getting Wild

Club Car

It's a 2001. I haven't looked for stickers, but I assume a 290?
Old 09-21-2009, 06:29 PM   #4
PIB-My-Ride
Getting Wild

Club Car

I ordered a Tiny Tach, so I installed it that afternoon, grabbed the GPS and went for a ride to collect some data.

The response time of the tach and the GPS made it unlikely that both were correct at the same time, but still, what I saw confused me.

Recap:

- spring is zipped-tied
- governor arm lubricated and loosened
- original settings on the accelerator linkage
- limiter intact

The cart takes off fine, and with the pedal less than 2/3, the tach will show around 3700-3800 RPM. GPS only shows 13-14 mph.

If I push it a little more, it'll go to 4,000 with very little additional speed, and the limiter kicks in.

I thought I had seen posts that claimed that factory governor kept RPM's around 2700 and the limiter jumped in a 2900...?

I'm also surprised that revving that high didn't produce more speed. Is it possible that my clutch or belts are in rough shape and are allowing high rpm slippage?
Old 09-21-2009, 08:52 PM   #5
CartTrader
Gone Wild

Club Car

I have the same problem with one of my carts....Check the belt on the drive pully. Put the cart in maintenance mode and start engine, look to see how far up on the pulley the belt rides. On my slow cart there is 1/2" before it gets to the top of the pulley and it, like yours, only does about 14mph. On my fast cart at the same rpm the belt is within 1/4" of the top and does 19mph. I have yet to figure out why there is so much difference in the place the belts ride. I tried switching belts but no differece was found.

CartTrader
CartTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:57 PM   #6
BigBlockMan
Gone Wild

Your drive clutch is in need of repair, Probably weights and washer and slides. It can also be machined to bring belt above clutch dia for even more speed.
BigBlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:59 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The Electronic rev limiter kicks in at 4200 rpm. It's sole function is to try to stop you from grenading the motor.... The best advice I can give you is do not disable it and stay out of it. Even hitting the rev limiter repeatedly is hard on the motor.... Get some bigger tires
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:21 PM   #8
mjrowley
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
The Electronic rev limiter kicks in at 4200 rpm. It's sole function is to try to stop you from grenading the motor.... The best advice I can give you is do not disable it and stay out of it. Even hitting the rev limiter repeatedly is hard on the motor.... Get some bigger tires
I need to look and see if my rev limiter is even hooked up. Im a bit shocked to be be hitting 22/23 mph.
mjrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:06 AM   #9
PIB-My-Ride
Getting Wild

Club Car

Ok, now we're getting somewhere. Thanks guys.

BTW, I orderd the tach from Cart Parts Plus because of the "sponsorship", but it seems that BigBlockMan IS CPP...? Had I known that, I'd have mentioned it earlier. (no edit feature?) At any rate thanks for the advice and quick service.

I noticed earlier, by running in maint mode and watching the belt that it doesn't ride very high on the pulley. Judging by the difference in the surface, it never has. I wasn't sure that it was significant, so I didn't measure, but I would guess the belt falls 2" short of the top.

A limit of 4200 makes a lot more sense Scotty - thanks for the info. My goal is only a few more MPH's and long engine life, so I will do what it takes to keep 'er at reasonable revs, and the limiter will stay put.

Is repairing the drive clutch something a newbie DIY'er can tackle? I've heard people say that a puller is needed.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:47 PM   #10
CartTrader
Gone Wild

Club Car

WOW At 2"" short of the top I`m surprised that you are getting 13 to 14 mph. I`m only 1/2 in down and can only get 14mph @ 4000 RPM But with my other at 1/4 down @ 4000 I`m getting 18 to 19 mph with stock tires.

CartTrader
CartTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car