lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-19-2009, 10:04 PM   #1
asquarecan
Not Yet Wild

Default Converting electric to gas?

Hey guys!

First post here,

I have been browsing the last couple days over a few forums and decided this by far had the most information and best laid out.

I am picking up an electric cart tomorrow I honestly have no clue what it is! I was told it is a Melex, I have tried searching and have no found a lot of info about them. I am not too worried about it since nothing is going to stay stock on it that doesn't matter.

I have a huge list of things I am going to do the cart but my priority is making it run first because it does not. I am going to be dropping a 450cc bike engine into my cart.

My major concern is for anyone who has done this, how do I go about getting reverse? I know I am going to have to swap rear ends and that is not an issue. I just am not sure if there is a way I can get my cart to back up!

Thanks!
Keith
asquarecan is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-19-2009, 10:42 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Converting electric to gas?

Any 4 stroke transaxle has reverse.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 07:09 AM   #3
gaston
Gone Wild

Welcome asquarecan
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 01:14 PM   #4
asquarecan
Not Yet Wild

Thanks guys!

I just parked my cart in the garage!

The guy I got it from said it was either an 87-89 Melex. What ever it is it wont be it for much longer.

So for you guys putting aftermarket engines in your cart what is my best donor engine? I was thinking of getting an engine out of a 450cc bike or something like that but I dont have anything in mind. Any suggestions for make the conversion easier?

Plus Height of the engine is going to appear to be an issue :( I am going to be lowering my cart so I will have to figure something out there.

Thanks again
Keith
asquarecan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 02:04 PM   #5
Flintrock
Raised by coyotes

Yamaha

It's difficult to make a bike engine work with a stock transaxle, you typically see them with an an aftermarket axle with sprockets, but you lose reverse. Search on "bike engine".
Hard to stuff a v-twin, briggs or honda in a lowered cart, but possible and you still need a 4 stroke transaxle.
Snow mobile engines give a lot of bang for the buck, but can be finicky, and difficult to fit the muffler and expansion chamber in the cart, and of course you still need the transaxle. Again, lots of info here on those swaps if you search for it!
Flintrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car