lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-03-2019, 07:01 PM   #1
zachjay
Not Yet Wild

Default 09 RXV Motor/Solenoid Troubleshooting Help

Unfortunately driving home yesterday in my RXV, I began to smell something resembling burnt or shorted electrical components (I assume). The cart began to brake itself, and I observed some low fluctuating numbers on the digital voltmeter on the dash (anywhere from 41-43 volts after a full charge and after only about a 2 mile ride to the ball fields).

I checked the solenoid, motor, and connections throughout the battery component with no smoking gun. Although I didn't see any visible damage or burnt connectors on the solenoid or any light smoke from the motor, I'm assuming one of the two is the issue.

My question(s):

- Anyone have electrical diagrams/troubleshooting steps for troubleshooting/verifying component functionality?

- If motor or solenoid measures out with negative results, can these components be replaced independently? Are there any concerns with replacing one component and not the rest of the inline components?

Thanks in advance for any advice guys/ladies!

-zachjay
zachjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-04-2019, 08:12 AM   #2
badandyturbo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 09 RXV Motor/Solenoid Troubleshooting Help

For piece of mind remove the black plastic cover on top of the motor. It houses the connections for the cables. Mine was corroded under the cap. And yes the parts can be changed out independently.
badandyturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 09:27 AM   #3
rngilliland
Gone Wild

The burning smell is the parking brake. Replace it with a factory Ezgo standard brake. There are several threads on here that say the HD brake doesn't work well on the Danahar controllers. If your cart has the small solenoid that is part of the wiring harness it should be replaced. When you replace the brake make sure you don't over tighten the bolts. 50 in/lbs or less. If you don't have a torque wrench only tighten them until the lock washers are compressed. If the bolts are corroded, replace them. When you tighten the bolts the brake needs to be plugged in, and the tow switch must be in tow with the key in neutral. The brake has to be released to let everything align when you tighten the bolts.
rngilliland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 11:32 AM   #4
zachjay
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the info Andy.. I'll check it out tonight.

RNG - when referring to the "parking brake", you are talking about the motor brake correct?
Old 11-04-2019, 02:12 PM   #5
jneubig
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachjay View Post
Thanks for the info Andy.. I'll check it out tonight.

RNG - when referring to the "parking brake", you are talking about the motor brake correct?
Yes. The motor brake. Notorious for failing and the smell you experienced. Don't order the heavy duty model. It will not play well with your cart.
jneubig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 02:31 PM   #6
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Search for troubleshooting guide Danaher rxv. It has wiring diagram & test procedures.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 08:08 AM   #7
zachjay
Not Yet Wild

Thanks jneubig, and will do. Found a couple threads that echo what you mention.

And thanks cg, will do!
Old 11-13-2019, 02:55 PM   #8
zachjay
Not Yet Wild

Ordered the Reliance motor brake (Non-HD version) and installed with no problem(s). Ran it through the neighborhood and runs like a top. Thanks for the troubleshooting tips everyone! And thanks CG for the separate install procedure!
Old 11-13-2019, 06:50 PM   #9
jallwine
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachjay View Post
Ordered the Reliance motor brake (Non-HD version) and installed with no problem(s). Ran it through the neighborhood and runs like a top. Thanks for the troubleshooting tips everyone! And thanks CG for the separate install procedure!
Do you have a link to the install procedure? I think this is my problem as well only my motorbrake has completely failed which I assumes mean solenoid and motorbrake need to be replaced.
jallwine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 07:03 PM   #10
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I only recommend using a OEM brake.

Replacing the Park Brake on an E-Z-GO RXV

Remove the two T27 torx screws on the rear cover
Choke the wheels
Disconnect the negative cable on the battery pack
Turn the ignition key to reverse, wait till the reverse indicator becomes silent then turn key off
Disconnect wire harness from motor brake
Remove the three 10mm hex screws and lock washers from brake
If bolts are rusty replace them
Remove brake if there is residue on motor be sure to clean it use a wire brush
Position the brake with the connector at the top, install the three hex screws loosely.
Connect wire harness to the motor brake, re-connect battery negative cable
Turn ignition to neutral, turn Run/Tow switch to Tow position, this provides power to the brake to align the disc material
Set torque wrench between 53 to 65 in. lbs (6-8 Nm) and tighten screws be sure not to over tighten
Turn key back to the off position
Move Run/Tow switch back to Run position
Put rear back cover on
usgicollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO