lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-16-2010, 12:03 PM   #1
sti_lin
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Need help reading smart charger

Hi, I just bought a used 2001 EZGO yesterday. The guy who I bought it from had just bought this new charger linked here http://www.lvssales.com/store/produc...cat=616&page=1

I left it plugged in for 14 hours last night and when I go out to garage this morning the charger is reading 2.5 DC amperers according to gauge. Does this mean the batteries are charged or empty? This chargerer is supposedly a smart charger but I don't know what that entails. (I.E. how does it shut off after full charge? does the toggle switch magically move to off?)

Any help appreciated for this new cart owner. Thanks
sti_lin is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-16-2010, 01:47 PM   #2
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Need help reading smart charger

Check your batteries individually. How old are they? You may have a bad one or two which is causing the charger to remain on in an attempt to bring the pack up to full charge. That charger is fully automatic. Plug and play if you will!!
pggroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 01:54 PM   #3
sti_lin
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

The batteries were new in 2006. So is the reading of 2.5 of the gauge low then? I took it out around the neighborhood for a few blocks and it seemed ok except for not alot of pull up 10 degree or so inclines. this is my first cart so I trying to figure out how it should feel and I dont have anything to compare it to. If this charger auto shuts off does the on/off switch automatically flip? thanks
Old 05-16-2010, 02:04 PM   #4
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sti_lin View Post
The batteries were new in 2006. So is the reading of 2.5 of the gauge low then? I took it out around the neighborhood for a few blocks and it seemed ok except for not alot of pull up 10 degree or so inclines. this is my first cart so I trying to figure out how it should feel and I dont have anything to compare it to. If this charger auto shuts off does the on/off switch automatically flip? thanks
Check voltages of each battery. Check specific gravity as well if you have a tester. It really sounds like you have a bad battery or two. Check the cables/connections as well. Give 'em a tug and make sure they're clean and tight. Although I don't have experience with that specific charger, from general experience with carts and chargers, I'd say no, the switch doesn't move, there is logic within the charger that takes care of shutting the system down at full charge. I'd also say to reset the cycle you simply unplug the charging cord from the cart and re-insert. Charger senses voltage from pack and starts the cycle.
Old 05-16-2010, 02:44 PM   #5
sti_lin
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

They individually read from 6.31 for most to 6.37 on one. The batteries are trojan t-105's with a code of i6 on the post. September 06 manufacturer date then I guess. So I guess the cart is good based on battery measures? Maybe the big tires put a drain on it and thats why it seems slow any inclines.

Last edited by sti_lin; 05-16-2010 at 03:17 PM.. Reason: updated battery manu. date
Old 05-16-2010, 05:31 PM   #6
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sti_lin View Post
They individually read from 6.31 for most to 6.37 on one. The batteries are trojan t-105's with a code of i6 on the post. September 06 manufacturer date then I guess. So I guess the cart is good based on battery measures? Maybe the big tires put a drain on it and thats why it seems slow any inclines.
Certainly doesn't help. Stock controller?
Old 05-16-2010, 05:40 PM   #7
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Definately check the cables and make sure they are clean and tight. The pack doesn't sound bad but they are a little out of balance IMO. I'm thinkin theres a bad connection somewhere on the pack and leading to the imbalance but with their age its hard to tell.. Tonight when you plug it in let it charge for an hour or 2 and check the battery cables and see if they are warm. If you find one thats probly the problem. Keep in mind most packs last on average 5 years, that being said I think the batts are ok.

When you check the voltage on the pack and each batt you need to do so after letting them sit abount an hour AFTER you take it off the charger. Checking them right after pulling the charge plug out isn't a good way to check.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 09:32 PM   #8
sti_lin
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

thanks for the info. Well after a day of sporadic use and driving it for a total of 1-2 miles with no radio or lights the cart died pulling into my driveway which is about a 30 degree grade. I put it on the charger for a little bit so i could get it into the garage. Now back on the charger the guage reads 6 as opposed to 2.5 after charging over night. I am going to check the cables for heat soon to see if any are hot while charging. I also measured the volts when it died and one battery read 6.27 while the rest read around 6.14.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:34 PM   #9
roady89
nimda
Club Car

It should not have died at that voltage. Is this a PDS cart?
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 10:33 PM   #10
sti_lin
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I believe it is serial based on info others have given me in another post.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO