lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-08-2011, 09:52 PM   #1
Night Train
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Trojan battery in ezgo

Went through the stickys, got some of the answers but wanting some experienced opinions. Bought an ezgo yesterday my first battery cart. It has been upgraded to 48v, the batteries have an 8 on the post so I'm assuming it's an 08 production. (sticky). All batteries are reading from 8.6 to 8.3 except for 1 and it's at 6.54. The cart goes strong for about an hour after charging all night. Right now I am charging the low one at 2 amps. The charger does not say it is bad and taking the charge. What to do, should I continue to charge that one and see if it gets over the 8v, or replace it? If I replace, should I replace all of them? Give me some thoughts like I said the stickys did not go into this much detail. Thanks
Night Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-09-2011, 07:30 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Trojan battery in ezgo

You stated that the cart runs strong for about an hour after an overnight charge, so you are only getting about half of the battery capacity of a good set of batteries.

Attached is a battery voltage and specific gravity chart I picked up around here someplace.
As you see, the only batteries taking a full charge are the ones around 8.5V and above.
The one reading 6.5V most likely has a bad cell and probably won't recover no matter how much you charge it.

Since one or more of your 3-4 year old batteries reads 8.6V, I suspect you measured the voltage shortly after they were charged, so you may be reading a "Surface Charge", which isn't a good indicator of the state of charge.

After the charger turns off, drive the cart for about half a mile , or let it set for about 12 hours and then measure the battery voltage.
They should all be approximately 8.5V and all should be within 0.1V of each other.
If not, try to find some batteries about the same age and condition to replace the weak ones with, or replace the whole set with new.

If you go the new battery route, there is a break-in procedure to follow to obtain maximum performance from new batteries. Here's a link to it:
http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Batter...n_Methods.html

Personally, I suspect the batteries weren't maintained very well by the previous owner and would replace the whole set with new.
I would also take a close look at the high current carrying cables all the way to the motor and replace them if they less than 4ga or showed signs of poor maintenance.

Hope this helps.
John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg batterytable1118242f71.jpg (43.1 KB, 10 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:13 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

My impression is this; 8.6 and 6.5 are very full readings for 8 and 6v batteries.

Are U sure the 'low reading' battery is not a 3 hole 6v? If it is an 8v it has lost a cell and needs to be replaced. Replacing with a used battery of the same AH capacity and age is best in a 3yr old pack.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:50 AM   #4
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Wink Re: Trojan battery in ezgo

I must agree with Scottyb on this one. Sounds like they through a 6 volt battery in on the pack to either sell it are they just didn't know...hard to say. I would buy a battery and ride it. The 8 volt battery looks like it's holding a good charge so I would roll with just one battery.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:59 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Hadn't considered somebody throwing a 6V battery into the mix.
I'm glad the guru's caught my oversight.

As for the 0.3V spread (8.3-8.6) on the other five, just give them some TLC and they might even out some, mine did.

FWIW: After I found out that I had to wait until the surface charge dissipated before measuring battery voltage, I was getting >0.1V spread on my '09 T-105's and after upgrading to 2Ga cables, a couple months of regular charging and careful watering the spread is now <0.1V. I have no idea why it happened, only that it did.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:21 AM   #6
Night Train
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Hey guys thanks. The guy I am buying it from is a good friend, but one of those who plugs it up when it slows down and no more. He had all this stuff dome to the cart lift, tires, 48v, controller, etc... And then ran across a deal on a newer club car. So this cart sat more than anything over the past year. Only used occasionally. I am gonna replace the one battery and role with it. Thanks for all yalls help.
Old 08-09-2011, 01:34 PM   #7
Night Train
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Ok tested the batteries after an hour of use. The 5 good ones were holding between 8.5 to 8.6. The bad one was at 6.54. Off to the cart store for a good battery.
Old 08-09-2011, 01:50 PM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Train View Post
Ok tested the batteries after an hour of use. The 5 good ones were holding between 8.5 to 8.6. The bad one was at 6.54. Off to the cart store for a good battery.

If the one holding at 6.54 is in fact a 6V battery, it is also good and you might be able to sell/trade it to somebody near you for a trade-in core.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO