lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-02-2016, 09:58 PM   #1
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Default 84 Carb/air filter question

Guy gave me a 84 Ezgo gas. Body and frame in very Rough condition. Before this forum, I knew NOTHING about golf carts. Still do not know a lot, but this forum has been extremely helpful.

Anyway, cart came without carb, I took a chance, spent $20 on a carb and the cart actually started and overall runs well.

My questions are:

1. How does Carb connect to air filter (see pics)? Is there a transition piece I am missing or do I have wrong carb and/or filter? is there a different/better air filter to bolt right on to my existing carb?

2. Carb had two places for hose connections. i put the gas line on one and the other had a short plastic tube (see pics), where does that tube connect?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0028.jpg (204.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0079.jpg (170.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0080.jpg (201.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0081.jpg (190.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0083.jpg (184.2 KB, 0 views)
rockfordpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-02-2016, 11:06 PM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 84 Carb/air filter question

Your carb is missing the intake bell housing to mount the air hose.

The small clear line is a vent hose. It doesn't connect to anything. Look at your 2nd picture. at the top of the pic there is a round hole in the bracket that holds the cables. Stuff it in there.

I see that your oil injection banjo is still connected to the intake manifold.

The first mod that most people do is remove the banjo, and oil injector. Plug the hole with a 6mm screw, and mix your gas 128:1. That's one ounce of oil per gallon of gas.

The oil injector is a known weak link that will fail.

This is a manual for an 85. It will work for yours. The wiring diagram may show a 2nd microswitch in the FnR switch.
Read page J-1 about the operation of the oil pump. Your cable is not connected to the carburetor. The oil injection is putting out extra oil that could foul the plug.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 85-EZGO(2) (1).pdf (6.71 MB, 0 views)
cart around is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 11:18 PM   #3
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart around View Post
Your carb is missing the intake bell housing to mount the air hose.

The small clear line is a vent hose. It doesn't connect to anything. Look at your 2nd picture. at the top of the pic there is a round hole in the bracket that holds the cables. Stuff it in there.

I see that your oil injection banjo is still connected to the intake manifold.

The first mod that most people do is remove the banjo, and oil injector. Plug the hole with a 6mm screw, and mix your gas 128:1. That's one ounce of oil per gallon of gas.

The oil injector is a known weak link that will fail.

This is a manual for an 85. It will work for yours. The wiring diagram may show a 2nd microswitch in the FnR switch.
Is that bell housing a part I can buy or do I need to mod something?

Yes, already have premixed my fuel, just have not gotten around to disconnecting the pump line. I had previously downloaded that manual, just was not clear on those switches.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE HELP!

This is going to be a fun project. the reason the guy gave it to me is that someone let this cart setup for years with the battery in it. The acid destroyed the battery box and also ate completely through the frame just in front of the pivot point where the bushing connects the two parts of the frame. The frame was only connected on ONE side.

I am in the process of getting the frame welded back now.
Old 06-02-2016, 11:31 PM   #4
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-e...ase-2.htmlThis This link shows what it looks like.

I believe the carb is a bv-24, not a bv-18 like ours. Either way, that's what it looks like.

You might get lucky, and find somebody that has an extra sitting on a shelf around here.
I don't know if they can be bought new.
cart around is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 02:56 AM   #5
my1423
Gone Wild

The bell was missing from mine as well.
I could not locate it.
Ended up taking a vegetable can that was slightly smaller then the hose and using it.
I took the hose to the pantry and kept trying cans until i found one that fit.
I do not remember what it was.
Just took the air cleaner gasket that was included with the new carb and traced it out on the flattest part of the end of the can.
Drilled the holes to match.
Then cut it shorter, cut about 1/2 the can off. Then made 4 small dimples around the edge.
Used a hose clamp to hold it on. The dimples keeps it from walking off.

Used washers and some rtv on the bolts to help seal it since the can has ribs. The gasket kept it sealed on the intake but the rtv was for around the studs.

Or you might try a search on ebay for carb kart adapter. Measure the distance across your bolt centers and you might get lucky. I know they are a bit spendy though. Billet and shiny makes them premium.

I left the oil pump on mine but still mixed the gas really thin.
Better have extra oil then none at all especially when you can not always trust kids to put the right gas or oil in. Out here in the heat 128-1 is thin. 64-1 smokes very little but it has a noticeable smell. 128 pump and 128 fuel. = 64-1
my1423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 08:43 AM   #6
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by my1423 View Post
The bell was missing from mine as well.
I could not locate it.
Ended up taking a vegetable can that was slightly smaller then the hose and using it.
I took the hose to the pantry and kept trying cans until i found one that fit.
I do not remember what it was.
Just took the air cleaner gasket that was included with the new carb and traced it out on the flattest part of the end of the can.
Drilled the holes to match.
Then cut it shorter, cut about 1/2 the can off. Then made 4 small dimples around the edge.
Used a hose clamp to hold it on. The dimples keeps it from walking off.

Used washers and some rtv on the bolts to help seal it since the can has ribs. The gasket kept it sealed on the intake but the rtv was for around the studs.

Or you might try a search on ebay for carb kart adapter. Measure the distance across your bolt centers and you might get lucky. I know they are a bit spendy though. Billet and shiny makes them premium.

I left the oil pump on mine but still mixed the gas really thin.
Better have extra oil then none at all especially when you can not always trust kids to put the right gas or oil in. Out here in the heat 128-1 is thin. 64-1 smokes very little but it has a noticeable smell. 128 pump and 128 fuel. = 64-1
Both GREAT IDEAS. Thanks. I probably will do both, the latter just to try to keep it original. Worst case scenario is that fuel will be a little rich and have to replace plugs more often. I also agree with post above, I do not want to totally rely on the oil pump for the mixture
Old 11-24-2020, 08:42 PM   #7
mhelmkamp
Not Yet Wild

Hello! I too am missing the piece that goes from the carb to the hose that comes off the air filter. Any idea where I might be able to purchase one?

Thank you!!!
mhelmkamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1984 2 stroke ezgo, carburetor air filter
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO