lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-08-2020, 07:34 AM   #1
Jeff McGuire
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Need unique ignition switch

Looking for ideas from anyone that has swapped out there ignition switch with one that unique? I'm thinking about something generic, not just the club car unique key (which isn't that unique either). I am also swapping the dash at the moment so the replacement switch does not have to have the long shank on it.
Jeff McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-08-2020, 08:26 AM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Need unique ignition switch

I've used suzuki LT80 ignition switches. They have 2 terminals that are closed when the switch is on, the other terminals close when the switch is off. This way you can still throughput the ground when you turn the switch off and kill the motor.

Really any 2 terminal switch *can* work. The cart will run and work fine without the ground terminals when you turn it off. Only problem is you'll be able to turn the switch off while you're driving it and it will keep running like normal. Once you stop and the engine shuts off, it's not going to restart again (because the switch is off) so it's not *that* big of a deal. But opens up some more options anyway
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 08:37 AM   #3
Jeff McGuire
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
I've used suzuki LT80 ignition switches. They have 2 terminals that are closed when the switch is on, the other terminals close when the switch is off. This way you can still throughput the ground when you turn the switch off and kill the motor.

Really any 2 terminal switch *can* work. The cart will run and work fine without the ground terminals when you turn it off. Only problem is you'll be able to turn the switch off while you're driving it and it will keep running like normal. Once you stop and the engine shuts off, it's not going to restart again (because the switch is off) so it's not *that* big of a deal. But opens up some more options anyway
Ah got ya. I was wondering why the gas had 4 wires. So we have a power in, power out and a ground in and ground out. Sounds easy enough.
Jeff McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 09:44 AM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff McGuire View Post
Ah got ya. I was wondering why the gas had 4 wires. So we have a power in, power out and a ground in and ground out. Sounds easy enough.

I had one with an ezgo switch, the 2 ground wires were just tied together (see wiring diagram M+ and M-). Terminal 1 and 2 are power in and power out

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-c...iagrams-2.html
Old 01-08-2020, 09:47 AM   #5
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

You can use pretty much any 4, 5 or 6 pin key switch for lawn/garden or small engine equipment. Majority of them should have a set of ground contacts for the ignition kill.

But you're not limited to that, as CP said, you can use any 2 pin switch if you'd like.
Use power from a 2 pin switch to activate a 5 pin relay, and use the NC and common terminals of the relay to close the ground for the kill circuit when the key is off.

If you're really into programming or techy stuff, an Arduino paired with a bluetooth module, or even a thumb/ finger print reader.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 09:57 AM   #6
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
You can use pretty much any 4, 5 or 6 pin key switch for lawn/garden or small engine equipment. Majority of them should have a set of ground contacts for the ignition kill.

But you're not limited to that, as CP said, you can use any 2 pin switch if you'd like.
Use power from a 2 pin switch to activate a 5 pin relay, and use the NC and common terminals of the relay to close the ground for the kill circuit when the key is off.

If you're really into programming or techy stuff, an Arduino paired with a bluetooth module, or even a thumb/ finger print reader.
A bluetooth based system is in the works

But thinking about it, I don't know the quality of this particular kit, but you could always do something like this as well. Just like a push button start car, but could work perfectly fine in a golf cart. Instead of using your phone or a key fob, it uses a little RFID key chain. I'd say that's "unique".

And for $25, with amazon taking pretty much any and all returns without question, it's certainly worth a try anyway. I may have to order one for my club car just because I think it would be cool

https://www.amazon.com/BANVIE-Leathe...=fsclp_pl_dp_7
Old 01-08-2020, 10:05 AM   #7
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
this would be the correct way to do it. However the one I got they just tied the wires together. You could pull the key out while you were driving down the road

I probably never would have noticed if the kid hadn't tried... that led to further investigation. I just put a regular switch in it and called it a day
Old 01-08-2020, 10:06 AM   #8
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Haven't seen a standalone kit like that before, and that's cheap enough to try for sure!
That may be on the "try it" project list for this summer to keep people from leaving their keys in the carts.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 09:46 PM   #9
DZAGS
Not Yet Wild

Did you get the keyless from amazon to work? I was looking at that for my 48v precedent. I figured it could prob work just don't need all the wires.

Last edited by DZAGS; 11-25-2020 at 09:48 PM.. Reason: trying to reply to a certain msg.
DZAGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car