lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-15-2015, 01:01 AM   #1
buggieB
Not Yet Wild

Default Ezgo medalist dcs won't go

The issue started when i would depress the pedal nothing would happen. Usually after 10 to 30 seconds the cart would go. The second thing i noticed after a few weeks was the speed cutting in and out while driving, especially going up hill. Finally after the pedal delay i made it about 200' from my house when the power stated cutting in an out and it finally died. I have gone thru the seven step troubleshooting process in the stickys (which i found here on BGW, very helpful!) I failed step one.( BL- and B+ ) Im reading 1.7 and my ref. is 38.5. Does that mean my controller is bad? The solenoid does click once while cart is in forward and the contact stays closed until i switch it to neutral. The solenoid does not click on and off while in forward. Not sure if thats is correct operation for the solenoid? I also noticed the speed controller looks like it got pretty hot by the m-terminal(which is labeled A1 on my controller)the plastic is a little warped. The wire from m- to motor was also pretty fried close to the controller, the motor termination side looked ok. Please Help!
buggieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-15-2015, 10:04 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Ezgo medalist dcs won't go

Sounds like it is time to replace the controller and cables.

The cables, all 10 of them, should be 4Ga or thicker.

The DCS controller had a fatal flaw, no under voltage protection, so replace it was an Alltrax DCX 400 or larger.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 11:19 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Agreed
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 12:56 PM   #4
buggieB
Not Yet Wild

ok will do. thank you guys for the feed back. Is it a waste of time to continue the 7 step dcs troubleshooting sequence if step one is failed? I think im going to go with the pkg. 505 on cart unlimited? Im going to preform the 18 volt motor test today. i didn't realize until reading some forums that i need to be in the tow position while being towed. which by the way i got a tow from my neighbor and his club car LOL. I'm not going to hear the end of that! Thanks again for the help.
Old 01-15-2015, 01:13 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Once it fails one test it's a gonner, the 7 tests indicate the 7 ways it can fail - you could do 2 more easy tests. tag the cable and wire locations and remove the control, now give it the sniff and rattle test. If it smells burnt or rattles when shook its history for sure
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 01:14 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggieB View Post
ok will do. thank you guys for the feed back. Is it a waste of time to continue the 7 step dcs troubleshooting sequence if step one is failed? I think im going to go with the pkg. 505 on cart unlimited? Im going to preform the 18 volt motor test today. i didn't realize until reading some forums that i need to be in the tow position while being towed. which by the way i got a tow from my neighbor and his club car LOL. I'm not going to hear the end of that! Thanks again for the help.
With the regen braking on, a CC probably couldn't pull it fast enough or far enough to hurt the motor.

Kidding aside, that may be what over heated to A1 terminal, hopefully it didn't take out the motor too.
Old 01-15-2015, 01:57 PM   #7
buggieB
Not Yet Wild

Houston we have a problem! Just tried to test the motor with 3 trojan 6v battery. Ref. was 19.0. I didn't have a batt. disconnect switch so i just landed my a2 to battery pack positive last. I had just under 19 volts between A1 and A2 at motor. The motor didn't show any sings of life. I have a 36v Advanced D.C. motor. Any ideas for additional testing? I'm i missing something?
Old 01-15-2015, 02:25 PM   #8
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Pull motor off, if its bad, it will quickly start stinking up the whole building. i have a clubcar motor here that was killed by towing, every time i walk into the building i start looking around for a electrical fire.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 02:31 PM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggieB View Post
Houston we have a problem! Just tried to test the motor with 3 trojan 6v battery. Ref. was 19.0. I didn't have a batt. disconnect switch so i just landed my a2 to battery pack positive last. I had just under 19 volts between A1 and A2 at motor. The motor didn't show any sings of life. I have a 36v Advanced D.C. motor. Any ideas for additional testing? I'm i missing something?
Is this the way you connect the motor?

If connected like a series motor, it might not turn.

---------
You could measure the Ohmic values between A1 & A2 and between F1 & F2. Should be about ~3Ω between armature studs and about ~1Ω for the field windings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Motor Test - Sepex.jpg (91.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-15-2015, 03:10 PM   #10
buggieB
Not Yet Wild

Ok pulled motor not a real noticeable smell cgtech but there was some flaky metal parts inside. ohmed out A1 and A2 and it read open. S1 and S2 was all over the board started at around 50 ohms then worked its way down to around 8 and back up. Was going to take it to are locale electric motor repair shop and see if theres anything they can do, or do those readings indicate it toast?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO