lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-27-2015, 09:54 PM   #1
Robster1234
Not Yet Wild

Default Adding light kit on club car please help!!!!

I have a 2011 precedent and added a stentens basic light kit. What battery's get the positive and negative connections and behind the dash I can't seem to figure out the connections. I have a gray connector and white 9 pin connector at the dash location from the factory. Are those left unplugged. I also then have the new harness that also Goes behind the dash. I seem to have an extra 9 pin connector that has no place to go, the instructions are not great please help me. Thanks guys
Robster1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-28-2015, 08:31 AM   #2
ZackMan
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Adding light kit on club car please help!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robster1234 View Post
I have a 2011 precedent and added a stentens basic light kit. What battery's get the positive and negative connections and behind the dash I can't seem to figure out the connections. I have a gray connector and white 9 pin connector at the dash location from the factory. Are those left unplugged. I also then have the new harness that also Goes behind the dash. I seem to have an extra 9 pin connector that has no place to go, the instructions are not great please help me. Thanks guys
Robster1234,

Based on your request, I surmised that you have a wiring harness (for behind the dash) with a push pull switch and it has a twelve pin male connector and a nine pin connector. This nine pin connector is for an optional turn signal switch which is unused until you decide to upgrade. The single gray male connector on the bucket harness, which is separate wiring, is plugged into the single gray female connector on the factory harness and its female twleve pin connector is plugged into the twelve pin male connector on the wiring harness with the push pull switch. What is this other nine pin connector attached to and its location?

You did not mention what type of battery setup you have. Do you have 6 8 volts, 8 6 volts or 4 12 volts. In either configuration you will need to attach the positive wire to the #1 battery's positive post and the negative wire to the #6, #8 or #4 battery's negative post depending on your battery arrangement; however, you will need a 48V-12V reducer in order to operate your lights without them blowing.

If you decide not to install a voltage reducer for now, you can hook up the positive and negative to only one battery to run your lights, but its energy depletion will be uneven from the entire pack.

I am sure you will have additional questions and others will chime in as well. Post additional inquiries so that they can be answered and clarified.
ZackMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 11:32 AM   #3
flkeysdude359
Gone Wild
Club Car

ZackMan summed it up well. We really don't know what you received for a harness in your kit and what your battery pack configuration happens to be. Below is a link to a similar thread that might prove to be helpful. It includes a schematic from a light kit that I had purchased and installed on my 2008 1/2. My harness seemed to be a generic harness for the later Prescedents and included a number of connectors for "add ons" such as brake lights, turn signals, horn, etc. I think ZM's comments regarding a voltage reducer should be taken seriously. If you wired directly to 2 8v batteries (8v x 6), you would be feeding the lights with 16v...not a good thing in addition to now having an unbalanced pack. A site sponsor (like ScottyB...), has just what you need for a voltage reducer, to do it up right.

Hope this helps...!!!

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...onnectors.html
flkeysdude359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 12:10 PM   #4
scubabud
Ban Puppy Mills & Stores!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robster1234 View Post
I want to caution you to make absolutely sure you'll only be feeding 12 volts to the lights. Measure with a voltmeter on the two connections you finally choose to make sure of the voltage that will be supplied. If you tried to connect to 1# battery and #4 battery in a four battery setup you'll blow the lights since it would be feeding 48 volts. You should be using only 1 battery for both pos and neg connections in this case which would be 12 volts. On newer Precedents with 6 battery setups I don't know if they come with a 16 to 12 volt reducer already or do they just use 16 volts. Your best solution is to purchase a 48 to 12 volt reducer and use the 12 volts from that.
scubabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car