lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-13-2016, 09:09 AM   #1
troyr_2000
Not Yet Wild

Default Rocker arm problem

I'm have trouble with the rocker arm coming off of the push rod, any ideas? I put it back on and everything is fine for a little and it comes right back off. I just had the valves set. Also I was just going to buy new rocker arms and new push rods but am having trouble finding them if anyone knows where I can get replacements that would be great.
troyr_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-13-2016, 09:36 AM   #2
QB100
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Rocker arm problem

what kind of cart do you have? I had a similar problem with my G9 last year..

took it in and had a professional take 3 week to have the valves set.....

less than a day they came off again...

then realized that my cart was low on oil... :(

won't take anything to that professional again....

the low oil condition wouldn't allow oil to get into this area to keep them lubed...

added oil and no problems since...
QB100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 07:02 PM   #3
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Could be a "bent or carbon" stuck valve or the "rocker arm support and pin" are worn out do to lack of oil.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 07:04 AM   #4
troyr_2000
Not Yet Wild

It's a 94 G9. The valves were just set by a Yamaha dealer so I'm guessing it isn't stuck. I'm thinking the rocker arm pin is worn but I haven't been able to find any new ones. Anyone know who sales these? Oil level seems fine, but it is a little thin do having some gas in it from the exhaust not opening.
Old 06-14-2016, 06:36 PM   #5
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Normally the "support,rocker arm" and pin wear out togeather. Support J38-12152-00-00 and the pin J38-12156-00-00. Last time I looked, there still available from Yamaha.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 07:03 AM   #6
QB100
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I have a rocker arm support and rod I bought thinking mine was worn as well..

they are still in the original oem packaging.. send me a p.m. and i'll send you pictures of them.. if they are the parts you need we can work something out...
Old 06-15-2016, 07:15 AM   #7
troyr_2000
Not Yet Wild

I guess I didn't mean the rocker arm pin. I think the screw (not sure if that's right either) that sits in the push rod cup is probably the issue, or the pushrod itself. I would think if it was the support or pin I would have problems with intake and exhaust?
Old 06-15-2016, 07:25 AM   #8
QB100
Gone Wild

Yamaha

troyr_2000, check out the thread "g9 lost compression"

I bumped it so it's near the top..

maybe it will help with your cart...

I have the support and the pin in the yahama OEM packaging that smallblock referenced .. if you need them.. they are just sitting on my workbench doing nothing..

good luck
Old 07-06-2016, 09:22 AM   #9
troyr_2000
Not Yet Wild

Update: I spent the last 10 days at the campground and came to this conclusion but still no reasoning.

First 2 days me and my son rode the cart whenever we needed everything was fine. On the 3rd day my daughter came to camp and within 2 hrs the exhaust side rocker had popped off of the rod (I switched the 2 rods to see if it was a bad rod). So it isn't a bad rod because the same one popped off.

I'm thinking it has something to do with temperature, when my daughter rides it is non stop until it breaks (me and my son just ride it here and there). I am not sure why heat would cause this though, any ideas?

After that day I told her to ride for 30 min and let it set for 15 min and we didn't have any problems after that for the rest of the week.
Old 07-06-2016, 07:51 PM   #10
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Replace the exhaust valve. Its sticking for just a split second and popping the push rod out. Just remember to change the oil on a regular basis.
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha