lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-27-2017, 08:41 PM   #11
Paul Dobbin
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 1988 Club car runs only with light pedal pressure

The fuel shortage could also be a weak fuel pump. The first time I replaced one on my 89 Club Car, it did what yours did and got weaker & weaker. I paid $58.00 at the local parts house. Then, I found one for my neighbors CC for less than $15.00 on Amazon. Amazing what good pressure will do. Another cause could be a clogged air filter in the big round tank just in front of the carb. 3 screws will split the case for replacement. Good Luck
Paul Dobbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-28-2017, 06:00 AM   #12
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisinkruty View Post
I have a turf II in my fleet with this turd of an engine
What year is it? I didn't think Club Car ever made Turf IIs with KF82s. If it has a KF82/FZ340 in it from the factory, it would be a 1991 or older, right? Maybe it's a newer cart with an older motor? I could be wrong but I don't ever remember seeing any Turf IIs until at least the late '90s or later.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 06:56 AM   #13
RR4406PAK
Not Yet Wild

How difficult is it to change the fuel pump. Is it just a bolt on piece?
RR4406PAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 07:12 AM   #14
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Before you go replacing the fuel pump (I've almost never seen them go bad) clean out the fuel tank and get another gas cap. You mentioned the gasket on the cap was coming apart, which brings a couple possibilities. Bits of the old gasket can get sucked into the pickup tube and restrict the flow, or other debris can get in and do much the same thing. You said the cap is "rusty" which means you probably have the wrong cap anyway since the correct one is plastic.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 09:14 AM   #15
RR4406PAK
Not Yet Wild

I'll do that. Ordering a new gas cap and set of keys off of Amazon today.

Looks like gas tank removal is pretty straightforward so I'll take it out and flush that out as well.

Here's a pic of the engine.
Can anyone tell me the name of the broken bracket in the picture that the previous guy wired up with the blue wire?
Also, where does the hose the the left it supposed to go that goes nowhere? (I plugged this hose but it did not make any difference in how the engine ran)

Pic of cart:

Old 02-28-2017, 10:21 AM   #16
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

The "bracket" you mention is part of your throttle linkage. I think I may have one at the shop, but I won't be there till Thursday to check. I'll have to let you know. The hose looks like the crankcase breather. It should be run into a hole in the engine facing side of our air filter housing. The hole is smaller than the hose, so it takes a little work to get it in there. Might even be contributing to your lean running condition itself.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 10:45 AM   #17
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Here's a view of where that crankcase breather hose hooks into the crankcase. It goes over the top of the carb and into a small hole on the backside of the air cleaner housing (that meimk mentioned). You can see the hose going into the air cleaner in the earlier photo I posted yesterday of the fuel filters.

Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 11:34 AM   #18
RR4406PAK
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the photo showing where the crankcase breather hose goes!

And meimk,
Thank you for offering to find me a new throttle bracket. I appreciate it!
Old 03-02-2017, 02:57 PM   #19
RR4406PAK
Not Yet Wild

The story gets weirder...

I noticed when I was removing the airbox that the carb was moving ! I checked the nuts and they were only barely finger tight! Geezuus!
So I tightened them up and cart ran much better (imagine that).

Ran really rough again after a few minutes.
I removed the air cleaner to check things out and (ready for it?) sticking out of the accordion section tube going into air filter box is a piece of paper toweling! WTF??? I look inside the accordion and there's two more paper towels in there! My guess is the previous owner was trying to block air coming in around cracked sections of the accordion folds (he put a ton of electrical tape on the outside to try to patch).

I also reversed the orientation of my fuel filter to match the filter direction in your picture (didn't know they were direction dependent), but it runs better now.

It is still running lean.
Spark plug is dry.
Old 03-04-2017, 11:30 AM   #20
cruisinkruty
Gone Wild
Club Car

the bush mechanics can make ya crazy. Sometimes the best thing to do is just remove everything and start from scratch,so you KNOW what youve got.
cruisinkruty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1988 club car
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car