lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-19-2017, 03:14 AM   #1
slobdiddy
Gone Wild

Default Yamaha G31 AP

Hi there. Have an opportunity to upgrade to the G31 AP. I know nothing about this cart, and these haven't yet arrived in my golf cart community (management has a monopoly on new carts), so I thought I'd ask here before committing to one - takes 6 months to order from Japan.

I have been told that the top speed is around 28kph which is super slow. It's also hilly here so I need major torque to get up the hills with 5 people in the cart.

I can't lift the cart as the last time I did so my wife complained that the cart was unstable. I can put on bigger wheels (if they fit without a lift e.g. as on the EZGO TXT). I also can't make it too loud as my wife also complained after I switched to a performance air filter last time around. Other than this I will do anything to speed the cart up.

I am trying to decide between this cart and the electric version. I previously had a Yamaha G29 EFI which I had to get rid off as this was just too slow and even with Don Plowman's help I couldn't overcome the engine management system's rev limiter. Am I going to have the same problem if I get the G31?

I guess a decent target speed for a cart would be around 30 mph, with the ability to eat hills. I'm relaxed about cost as this would effectively be the family car (no cars allowed where I live).
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Yamaha - G31AP.pdf (1.08 MB, 0 views)
slobdiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-19-2017, 10:47 AM   #2
maxim1157
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Yamaha G31 AP

I'll stick with my G2.. personally Yamaha needs to hire some new design engineers.
maxim1157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 07:50 PM   #3
TopherAndTick
Gone Wild

Yamaha

With so many unknowns of a new cart, buy an older refurbished, run like a scalded dog cart.
My 2011 G29 meets your wish list. Cept for the lift. But some 14s under stock should work fine
TopherAndTick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 08:08 PM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

So this big thing is supposed to "eat hills" at only 30 mph, with the same engine that was in the "too slow" golf cart. Nah, keep shopping. It doesn't say if it's carb, or EFI, but I don't see that thing as a "hill destroyer" with a standard golf cart powerplant. Sounds like you want something more in the side-by-side level of performance.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 11:01 PM   #5
sformal
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Sounds to be a Japanese version and I had a look at its parts catalog. Good luck to find parts in USA!!!

Myself I have a G15-A and I order my parts as much as I can from the US as the importer here (I am in Philippines) has incredible high prices! Not all parts are the same than on the US versions only some...

I have seen the G31-AP has the very same air filter than mine, impossible to find in US. Here, it costs more than 85$ from the importer but at least I can order him. What about you?

Not sure if it is a good idea but I have to say... great unit on the paper!
sformal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 04:30 AM   #6
slobdiddy
Gone Wild

I don't really have a choice as there's a monopoly here and its either the gas or electric versions. Think the engine is same is G29 (the non EFI one). I assume this has an engine management system to limit revs same as the G29.

I had a G29 in the past and couldn't get much speed. Pulled well up the hills but got overtaken on the flat by the older modded carts all the time.

Has anyone managed to get significantly improved speed and power out of a more modern Yamaha with an electronic rev limiter, without lifting and noisy air-filter.

How would high speed gears work out?

Many thanks
Old 05-20-2017, 07:02 AM   #7
HBR
Gone Wild

HS gears arent going to work well for hills and 5 people.
HBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 10:01 AM   #8
slobdiddy
Gone Wild

had big wheels on my g29. Was ok up the hills with a full load but just so slow due to electronic rev limiter
Old 05-20-2017, 10:10 AM   #9
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

According to the specs, it's not going to do what you want. That power rating of 7.3kw equals about 9.7 hp. Not enough to carry an over 1000 lb vehicle with 5 people with any speed up any hill. Rev limiters aren't the problem, the max output of the engine is the problem. I think cgtech has a point in that a side by side (Mule, Ranger, etc) might be more able to fit your needs.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 12:00 PM   #10
slobdiddy
Gone Wild

OK so the question is how can I best improve its power and speed it up? There must be something I can do. I can only chose between this and the electric version of the same cart and look at high current controllers and performance motors. There is a monopoly on supply in my island community and these are the only two licensed choices.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha