lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-12-2017, 11:31 PM   #1
technosf
Not Yet Wild

Default G2A - Bypassing the Voltage Regulator

I've inherited a '91 4-seater G2A... It was frying batteries apparently, and I measured 18VDC on run-abouts, so I've replace the Voltage Regulator (VR). I'm now seeing between 13VDC and 16.7VDC, which is still concerning me.

Trying to reason out this high voltage on a new VR, I'm wondering if there's a grounding issue some where. I need to go clean all the contacts!

But it also occurred to me that perhaps I could bypass the VR connection to the battery. I would do this by adding a rectifier to block current to the battery from the generator, while charging the battery via a more sophisticated battery charger that could handle the higher input voltage: Either a DC-DC battery charger, or a Inverter->AC Battery charger: This part of the circuit would be blocked from taking current from the batteries and would run from the generator only.

For a little context, ultimately, I'm going to add a couple of 6VDC deep cycle batteries in series to drive a large stereo system when stationary. I would isolate these batteries in the same way, but allow the stereo to draw from the generator while the engine was running.

Ideas and insight would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

T
technosf is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-13-2017, 06:57 AM   #2
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Default Re: G2A - Bypassing the Voltage Regulator

13 - 16v sounds about about right, actually. The way I test is to jack the back of the cart up, get the thing revving at about 1/2 speed then measure voltage. I like to have right around 14v at that point. Really, 14v would represent the average voltage going back to the battery. It would be more like 13v or so at slower speeds and probably 15v or so at higher speeds. Your top end may be just a bit high but not as much as you think. Given how the currents average out you are probably ok.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, charging, voltage regulator, yamaha g2
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha