lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-15-2017, 11:43 PM   #1
garya
Not Yet Wild

Default 89 g2 tire fitment issues with 4" eco and 22s

like the title says i am in the process of adding some parts to my yamaha g2 gas golf cart. i put a 4" lift on it last week and i was told that i could fit 22s with minor trimming. the wheels and tires showed up today and i put them on. from what i can see, for the rear i am going to have to trim the inner fenderwell slightly and trim the rockers a little bit. the front is where im confused. the right side wheel and tire seem to have plenty of clearance but the left is another story. the left front wheel and tire are noticably set back in the wheel well compared to the right side. looking at the frame, control arms, and struts i dont see anything bent. i have owned the cart for 4 years and since i bought it the steering wheel did not sit straight, but the cart had no pulling issues. i did notice that the left knuckle arm is significantly closer to the wheel than the right one. could this arm be bent and causing the left suspension to be set back in the wheelwell? i also noticed that the wheel and tire is alot closer to the strut compared to the right side. sorry for the long post and thanks for any help. great site!! ive been lurking for a long time but this is my first post.
garya is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-14-2018, 09:10 PM   #2
Kennzeichen
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 89 g2 tire fitment issues with 4" eco and 22s

Photos would be helpful, makes it easier to see issues that may be present.
Kennzeichen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 03:46 AM   #3
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Thanks for posting and glad you like the site. Get some pic's if you can of the front end. Recheck the frame in the front. The u shaped piece that right under the cowl and attaches to your lift plates connecting the a-arms. See if the is bent or out of shape. Possibly someone ran into something years ago and not really noticeable until you lifted it. Also, I'm assuming you got an economy lift. The plates in the front for your lift, are they flat, straight or do the bend and concave out toward the front at the bottom of the plates?

You can get 22's on a 4 inch lift but it's tight! You'll have to do some trimming. Best to stick with 20's on a 4 inch lift and use a 6 inch lift for 22's. Another option is 20's on the front and 22's in the rear. I did this once and it turned out pretty good. Cart was a little jacked up in the rear but looked kind of cool to me. I had a economy 4 inch in the front and made my rear lift out of boxed in and L channel steel like you can purchase at Lowes (what most road sign posts are made of). This cart had 8 inch deep dish rims all around with 20's on front and 22's in the rear. It was mostly a work cart for me. Most nice wheels now are 10 and 12 inch.

The red G16 in my avatar had a 4 inch econo with 22's. I had to take a hand held grinder and cut about half inch off the rockers. And keep air pressure somewhat low.

spriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 11:17 AM   #4
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Sounds like something is bent. A slight bend/twist at the A arm mounting point will be a much greater error out where the wheel mounts. Also new tires and wheels are over pressured when the tire is mounted to make a good seal. This added pressure can increase the tire diameter if not adjusted back down.

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 03:32 PM   #5
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Measure from the spindle back to the frame on each side. Typically only lifts that move the arms forward will fit 22s. The rear you normally have to cut the rocker shorter and maybe a little off the plastic at the corner. You can put a slice in each side of the inner well at the bottom and ziptie the center back from the tire enough to clear it. If you have tires that are larger in the center you will have to do that.

One time some crazy people I knew may have partied and backed into a tree and bent the entire rear of the cart in. Asked me to fix it. I chained the cart to a tree under the bumper and took off, jumped off the cart when it stopped. It was so funny at the time, after a while it was bent out right. I'll never forget that.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 05:15 PM   #6
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

would wheel spacers help in this situation?
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 06:50 PM   #7
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

If the kit moves the arms forward it should fit 22s, otherwise 20s the 22 will hit the frame at the floor area behind the tire if the arms are not moved. Some tires are different, you may get it to work, mine are big round things they would never fit without moving the arms.

Spacers would not help this issue if the arm is bent back, it might make it worse, it needs to be fixed is all. Spacers will help it be more stable with a high lift. They wont help in the rear either the 22s can hit the rocker you have to trim it, if you move the cradle back it will hit the bumper mount that has to be cut off or otherwise rebuilt. That has to be done if you want to put larger than 23 on a G2/9....unless you lift it to the moon and the cradle has a huge angle, enough the tire is actually under the cart its lifted so much. Mine with 22 I have about 1" max from the bumper mount/rear mudflap thing, about the same to the cut back rocker.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 12:18 AM   #8
Kennzeichen
Not Yet Wild

I have seen everything from a bent frame, bent a arms, positioning issues with the top of the shocks when you drill the hole for the lift, to even ordering 4 exact tires and there being 2 slightly smaller ones for some reason. Also check the tire pressure, could be over inflated. You will be surprised. Other than that not much to say. Try to bend the frame up, bigger lift, or smaller tires, your call, it is your decision.
Old 02-27-2018, 12:24 AM   #9
Kennzeichen
Not Yet Wild

Could be an issue with the 4' economy lift. Swap the plates around and possibly change the angle of the a arms from that. Take them off and see if they all line up perfect, could be your issue right there. Front plates spaced out wider than the backs will move them closer. It may be a far stretch but at this point what do you have to lose?
Old 03-28-2018, 09:39 PM   #10
garya
Not Yet Wild

thanks for all of the replies. i figured it out a few months back. i called don at plowmans and he gave me some tips. turns out the frame was bent on the left side. took some measurements comparing side to side, then got a porta power in and bent everything back where it should be, then set the toe properly. i also had to do some trimming and added 1" spacers but everything fits and looks great. glad i stuck with the 22s. id post some before and after pics if i knew how to lol.
garya is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha