lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-13-2009, 07:09 AM   #1
Mera
Not Yet Wild

Default Hidden on/off switch - any suggestions where?

On my 2005 PDS I am looking to add a separate switch toggle type to over ride the key switch. I live in a small neighborhood. Only a few kids. I tend to think none will try to joy ride my cart which I plan to leave outside most of the time. So I want to add a hidden switch so I do not always have to have a key in hand to drive it. Anyone done this? I want it somewhere where it is easy to use. Does leaving the key while parked on do any long term harm? If I am using my cart and stopping for a period of time can I leave the key on or should it be turned off every time?

Rodney
Mera is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-13-2009, 08:37 AM   #2
monkey-1
Monkeylicious

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Hidden on/off switch - any suggestions where?

I have used a cigarette lighter as a switch. Just get a regular cigarette lighter adapter and wire it up as a normally open switch. Then to complete the circuit, just push the lighter part in. When you get to where you are going, turn off the key and pull the lighter out to the 'rest' position and no one will ever know.
monkey-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 08:39 AM   #3
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Turn the key off, put the cart in Neutral, and set the parking brake, EVERY TIME.

Especially if there are kids involved. A guy at our campground left his key ON and cart in FORWARD, his dog climbed into the cart, laid on the floor against the gas pedal, and went for a short ride into a custom van causing a few thousand dollars in damage. The dog jumped off after the "accident".
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 08:39 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey-1 View Post
I have used a cigarette lighter as a switch. Just get a regular cigarette lighter adapter and wire it up as a normally open switch. Then to complete the circuit, just push the lighter part in. When you get to where you are going, turn off the key and pull the lighter out to the 'rest' position and no one will ever know.
That is the neatest thing I have heard in awhile
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 08:40 AM   #5
Flintrock
Raised by coyotes

Yamaha

Quote:
I like that idea!
Flintrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 04:32 PM   #6
buckmanmike
Gone Wild

What happens to the lighter when it gets hot and pops back out? Does this kill your circuit, or could you take out the element?
buckmanmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 08:06 PM   #7
monkey-1
Monkeylicious

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckmanmike View Post
What happens to the lighter when it gets hot and pops back out? Does this kill your circuit, or could you take out the element?
Its not wired like that. Its basically just a normally open switch that completes the circuit when pushed in, its no longer a lighter.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:12 PM   #8
Flintrock
Raised by coyotes

Yamaha

Buckman, you wire it backwards, normally "open". I'm not an EE, but as long as you turn the key switch off, not an issue. Could this be a problem? Yes..... Someone with more electrical knowledge please jump in!!!!...
Flintrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 08:16 PM   #9
Boris
DELETED

Quote:
That is some really good stuff there ......... I think I'm going to use that.

Thanks Monkey-1
Boris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 08:38 PM   #10
monkey-1
Monkeylicious

E-Z-GO

Glad to help! I have another one that I am going to use on my latest cart so that noone at Talladega will be able to joy ride my cart.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO