lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-16-2018, 12:22 AM   #11
1990 Marathon
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: New to me TXT, project starting

Ok, 14x6’s arrived and put on today. I’ve been real busy with work and the weather has been bad, but finally some progress. Next up is the 200a solenoid, and flipping springs/ blocks in back.

Also , I think I’ll paint the top black, what products and prep are people using on tops that are durable and working well?
1990 Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-16-2018, 12:24 AM   #12
1990 Marathon
Not Yet Wild

Pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D6FD9565-41DD-40DA-BD88-EC5B1351F809.jpg (237.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-16-2018, 04:19 PM   #13
Jmzvet
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I used 4 cans of satin black Krylon Fusion to paint my tan top. The only prep I did was wash the top with water. It came out looking pretty good.
Jmzvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 04:35 PM   #14
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Those tires/rims are badas*.

From everything I've seen on this forum, along with my own experience, painting these tops seems to be hit and miss. There are some threads about it here, and more in the paint/body forum. I read about using DAWN dish soap and a scouring pad to clean, followed by adhesion promoter, then krylon fusion. That didn't work and I was extremely diligent. You could easily scratch it off in places. I then found a pro on the internet who suggested heating the top with a torch to leach the oils from the plastic. Did that, more dawn and scouring pad, still not good enough. I ended up taking it to a buddy of mine's shop who builds fixtures for stores, etc and has a painting department. They finally got it to stick, but he said they used some stuff they weren't supposed to. In the end, I'd wished I had just bought a new one.

Regardless of my hassles, like jmz above, others have had better success than I did. Again, it seems to be hit or miss even with the same prep and products.
Good luck
orangeman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 07:59 PM   #15
Jmzvet
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I does scratch easy and I could see that being a problem for off road carts but for me, it worked out nice
Jmzvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 02:05 PM   #16
1990 Marathon
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the input guys, I’m gonna look at cost of a new black one before I decide to start painting.

My FR switch seems to be a little finicky. Hard to find F sometimes, so I’m about to check that out, I may be looking at the heavy duty replacement.
Old 02-17-2018, 02:10 PM   #17
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Look into a toggle switch alternative, you will like it.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 03:38 PM   #18
1990 Marathon
Not Yet Wild

Ok I’ve spent a lil time with it today. Cleaning up under seat , checking batteries again, etc. I do have one battery at 5v, but rest are 6-6.3. The 5v battery is what I’d call #1, it’s the positive end of the series. Someone moved it last night and left key on, not sure if that could drain it. I do not leave it on charger because it has no shut off. I’ll eventually get to replacing the board or charger, I’m just working thru other stuff first.

Charging it is a guessing game normally, the batteries are older, but seem to hold charge well and cart runs well. There are a couple batteries with bulges in pos post area, so I may not be too far off from replacing. Which brings me to.....

Alltrax npx4844ez and Mjz-200 solenoid(36v). Scotty mentioned upgrading to 200 solenoid, do I need to?

Ok, so I’m contemplating new batteries before long, and want to consider going to 42 or 48v. Would I need new npx? It’s rated 48v. I know I’d need a solenoid. What else?

Here’s a pic of what’s out back
Old 02-17-2018, 03:39 PM   #19
1990 Marathon
Not Yet Wild

He thought this was upgraded but I’m guessing original
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B807F761-1F5F-4BB9-9DA7-19394C4AE863.jpg (237.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-17-2018, 11:29 PM   #20
1990 Marathon
Not Yet Wild

After doing a little more looking around, I think I’ll run it as is for another week or two, maybe do the black top and spring flip , as well as refurbishing/painting underside as I’m into it, once that’s settled I’ll likely go for the 48v swap.

Best I can tell, I’ll need a solenoid, batteries, wires, and a charger, also probably a controller to realize gains.

Cart is already fast, I haven’t measured speed but it’s so much faster than my previous marathon gas it feels like a hot rod. Nothings ever enough though . Taught a 2-3 year old to drive on the old marathon, he’s now running a Honda 90ex, I’m gonna teach that same kids step brother of same age , now 8, to drive it, then do the 48v swap, and a body paint, I’m thinking late model corvette style , yellow with black or red with black, may even go satin.

These Txt bodies are so clean, Great lines, i see why they are so popular. I’ve wrenched for 30 yrs, but been having a blast learning and getting involved with the Electric drive systems. Hell, in another 5 years or so we will prob all be driving them to work, and maybe even powering our homes.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO