lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-11-2018, 09:38 AM   #1
Doubles Shooter
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 48 got conversion run time

I have a 2003 TXT pds 36 volt cart. Finally after three years, I've decided to go the hunting cart route. Was thinking about adding a 500 amp controller and solenoid from Scotty. Plus a 48 volt battery pack. A good friend deals in carts was telling me I wouldn't be happy with the battery life claiming it would be less than an hour. He said just sell my cart and he will get me a clean late model (2010-2012) 48 volt TXT for a couple hundred dollars over what he said i could sell mine for. He buys lot groups of carts and cherry picks the best. I've been trading smoked meats for parts with him so He treats me very well. He will get me a cart for what he has in it or maybe a bit less. What's everyone's thoughts on this? what kind of run time is everyone getting? I can get better performance from the 48. I know it's not the same performance level as the big controller, but the price is right
Doubles Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-11-2018, 09:54 AM   #2
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 48 got conversion run time

I don't agree with him on the run time, it would be a lot longer than that.

I do agree if he can get you a 7 to 8 years newer cart for a couple hundred dollars I would to that. You can always fix that cart up and it would already be 48v.
usgicollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 10:03 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Get the newer TXT48 and put a controller in IT
A TXT48 with Alltrax XCT controller and FSIP motor is my favorite cart right now - but honestly the older PDS will perform the same with these components.
Recently I built up a 07 PDS with Alltrax XCT400 and Admiral B2 motor on 6/8v batteries, the thing was nearly unstoppable on little 20" knobbies.
48v is more efficient than 36v operation - this alone increases run time. So even though the 8v hold less amperage they use less amperage per mile than a 36v system would.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 03:57 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

FWIW: The stored energy of a 6 x 8V 48V pack using 170AH batteries is slightly more than a 6 x 6V 36V pack using 225AH batteries.

36V x 225A = 8100 Watts
48V x 170A = 8160 Watts

The efficiency of the 48V system is better since the amp flow for the same amount of work is less, so not as much energy is lost as heat and the runtime is a bit longer with the same workload. (The rate that heat is generated is the Square of the Amps flowing through the resistance. IČ*R=W)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 05:39 AM   #5
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

I've built 2 carts which ha e been 36v carts I converted to 48v, 1 a series cart, the other a DCS......as far as RUN TIMEs....I personally rate them in terms how FAR they will go, not how LONG them will run......BOTH have roughly a 28-30 mile range.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 06:27 AM   #6
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
FWIW: The stored energy of a 6 x 8V 48V pack using 170AH batteries is slightly more than a 6 x 6V 36V pack using 225AH batteries.

36V x 225A = 8100 Watts
48V x 170A = 8160 Watts

The efficiency of the 48V system is better since the amp flow for the same amount of work is less, so not as much energy is lost as heat and the runtime is a bit longer with the same workload. (The rate that heat is generated is the Square of the Amps flowing through the resistance. IČ*R=W)
My experience is Johnnieb's math is correct in real world applications.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 06:37 AM   #7
Doubles Shooter
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Sir Nuke, That run time is probably twice what I'll ever need for camp or hunting so it would work. I also like the idea of a newer cart for not a lot of money. Then I'll have a 48 volt motor and battery pack already. Then as Scotty said, I can sneak a new controller in down the road. I don't have a lot of money in the old cart so I think overall I'll have less cash in upgrading. My friend will definitely get me a great cart with strong batteries so I think I'm going to do the swap. Now if winter will ever give up it's hold on Western NY, I can get started.
Old 03-13-2018, 03:26 PM   #8
HiTechRedNeck
Gone Wild

Might look at RXV....

Ac motor is good for torque and slow movement.

Upgrade controller for better torque....available

********* WARNING OPINION ZONE *********

nice speed for campground... good(not great) off road... if you need great off road get 4 wheeler....not golf cart

********** end opinion zone ********
HiTechRedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 06:14 AM   #9
Doubles Shooter
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

A bit of an update. I have decided to get the 48v. Especially since it will be a 2013. He has 10 of them [all black] coming in soon. He's going to give me pick of the litter. Looking at $2000.00. He said with the extras on my '03 [rear seat, LED lights, HD suspension, and windshield], getting the same money for it will be easy. The best part is, I get my extras from him at below cost more often than not, so putting everything on the new cart won't break me. He loves my smoked meats and home made sausages so we trade. Works out great for both of us. Going to be a long two weeks waiting.
Old 04-04-2018, 06:44 AM   #10
rib33024

A 2013 cart. That means the batteries are 5 years old and it's time to replace the battery pack, that is around $800 bucks
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO