lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-10-2018, 03:22 PM   #1
MrKC
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 2008 RXV - Motor Brake (have searched and read up)

2008 48V RXV

Cart has ran fine until stopped abruptly mid round while on the go. Would not attempt to move while in F.

Called Pro Shop for a tow. Put cart in N and flipped switch to tow. Brake did not disengage.

Cycle key to Off, then R then N, then R. Loud Click and brake disengaged. Moved Key to N pushed cart 3 feet and brake locked back up.

Repeated above process a couple of times until the brake remained disengaged in the N position.

Got towed back to cart house. Out of random curiosity flipped tow switch back to run, turned key to F and cart powered up and drove in as if nothing was wrong.

Pretty sure everything is stock on the cart. Has old style brake with lever, has brake lights, head lights, and charge meter next to Key.

I've read and searched. I do not have or have access to a handheld diagnostic unit and the closest dealer is a couple of hours away. After reading several old posts I was convinced it was the brake so I removed it last night.

Now I'm getting cold feet and am just looking for confirmation I'm heading in the right direction.

Should I start with a brake replacement, or look elsewhere first?
MrKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-10-2018, 03:59 PM   #2
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2008 RXV - Motor Brake (have searched and read up)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKC View Post
2008 48V RXV

Cart has ran fine until stopped abruptly mid round while on the go. Would not attempt to move while in F.

Called Pro Shop for a tow. Put cart in N and flipped switch to tow. Brake did not disengage.

Cycle key to Off, then R then N, then R. Loud Click and brake disengaged. Moved Key to N pushed cart 3 feet and brake locked back up.

Repeated above process a couple of times until the brake remained disengaged in the N position.

Got towed back to cart house. Out of random curiosity flipped tow switch back to run, turned key to F and cart powered up and drove in as if nothing was wrong.

Pretty sure everything is stock on the cart. Has old style brake with lever, has brake lights, head lights, and charge meter next to Key.

I've read and searched. I do not have or have access to a handheld diagnostic unit and the closest dealer is a couple of hours away. After reading several old posts I was convinced it was the brake so I removed it last night.

Now I'm getting cold feet and am just looking for confirmation I'm heading in the right direction.

Should I start with a brake replacement, or look elsewhere first?
Yes, but be sure to buy the OEM Motor Brake and not an aftermarket one. Try this vendor on eBay, lots of us have bought from...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/301992451277
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 05:28 PM   #3
MrKC
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks Bob!
Old 07-17-2018, 02:11 PM   #4
MrKC
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Got the new OEM brake installed. Break will release in tow mode, but cart does nothing when switched to run with key in F or R. Called around today and have yet to find anybody with a Danaher Diagnostic tool within 300 miles.
Old 07-17-2018, 05:53 PM   #5
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

what part of the country do you live in? There might be someone here that lives close to you that could help out.
usgicollector is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 05:55 PM   #6
MrKC
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I'm in Oregon.
Old 07-17-2018, 06:08 PM   #7
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Well I don't know anyone in Oregon myself who could help out. Maybe someone will chime in.
usgicollector is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 03:59 PM   #8
MrKC
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

If I put the cart in N and flip the switch to tow the brake won't release.

If I turn the key back to R, the brake releases and stays released when I turn key to N.

If I if I switch the switch back to Run in while in N it will lock the brake back up.

Should I be concerned about Run/Tow switch?
Old 07-30-2018, 08:17 PM   #9
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

check under the cover where the run/tow switch is. if it has the small hardwired solenoid replace it with the newer larger 'thrombetta' version ASAP. Small one was known to fry brakes and/or controllers.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 12:09 PM   #10
MrKC
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

This is the solenoid on my cart.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5779.jpg (109.4 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO