lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-12-2018, 10:40 PM   #21
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: Club Car Precedent Charging Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattman48754 View Post
How would those affect the charge cycle? Meaning the battery light flash when unplugging the charger.
Hope you can understand my point here, but the OBC is not your issue. Fix the issue and then come back to the OBC. If you feel you know something about an OBC that could cause it to make the cart stutter and run slow, you can simply bypass it to remove any doubts or confirm a phenomenon.

Once you fix the issue causing your operational problem, then we can come back to the light and do some testing to try and figure it out.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-13-2018, 07:33 AM   #22
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattman48754 View Post
How would those affect the charge cycle? Meaning the battery light flash when unplugging the charger.
Have you checked the batteries while it is doing these things.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 08:50 AM   #23
mattman48754
Not Yet Wild

I have not been able to check battery’s when it acts up. Those numbers I gave are resting voltage while parked on charger.
mattman48754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 08:56 AM   #24
mattman48754
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterM6 View Post
To me it's highly unlikely that all batteries are reading exactly 13v. It is also unlikely that if they are all 13v your pack voltage is 51v. What I'm getting at is that your meter might not be reading correctly. Years ago I had that same problem. What I remember the manual saying was that if you unplugged the charger and the light flashed it was because the battery voltage was below full charge(51.9). See if you can get more accurate readings. In batteries them tenths of a volt make a big difference.
It’s my understanding that the OBC controls the charger. It will charge battery’s up to full charge 51.9 ish then shut off. It will then maintain this “full charge” voltsge, correct? Turning on and off as needed to keep full. This does not happen. It reaches “full” then shuts off and does not cycle on again. Battery’s slowly drain down to mid 12v range bringing pack total under 50v.
Old 10-13-2018, 09:01 AM   #25
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The OBC only wakes up to charge every 15 days, which is plenty for storage.

That 12.61v battery was only 90% charged and likely also causing high resistance during current demand.

Set your meter to 20v DC, clip the leads to that battery and test drive it.

Note the voltage swing in the battery as you accelerate.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 09:08 AM   #26
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

The obc should charge batteries to full charge correct. The voltage can get up to 63 or so volts in the latter stage of the charge cycle. The amperage will be real low at this stage. When complete the charger will shut off. It will then turn on every 15 days to top the batteries off. A smart charger will do a trickle charge but the club car charger is not made to do that.

Sergio can Splain things better. I'll watch.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 09:15 AM   #27
mattman48754
Not Yet Wild

Unfortunately I’ll be working 12 hour days through next Friday so I won’t be able to try what you’ve suggested Sergio until then. Thank you for responding, I was waiting to hear from you. Just out of curiosity though, are you suggesting I may have a bad battery?
Old 10-13-2018, 09:40 AM   #28
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

You could have a bad battery, the final voltage distribution among the batteries is not very even and suggests some imbalance is taking place.

One thing to check as well after a charge cycle is the water level in all batteries, they can also cause charging issues if too low.

The primary factor in batteries life is how often you use your cart and how much you discharge it during use, age is typically only a factor if lack of maintenance is involved.

Your 4 year old batteries if only used on the weekends are in much better shape than 2 year old batteries in a golf course, regardless if they take excellent care and you do the bare minimum maintenance.

I personally don't like float charges for lead acid batteries charged in series, However, since I sometimes park my cart on Sunday and don't use it again until the following weekend, I automated my Powerdrive charger so during the summer I can have fresh charged batteries when I get home from work and go for a drive.

You can get smart wifi plugs for less than $10 now and with amazon prime shipping.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...e-control.html
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 12:20 PM   #29
mattman48754
Not Yet Wild

Thank you for the input, I will check the battery and water level as soon as I can on my next day off.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car