lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-09-2019, 11:52 AM   #1
twilliams81
Gone Wild

Default Suggestions for 2001 Series upgrade

I'm looking for suggestions on controller upgrades for an '01 TXT with the 6 pin molex connector. I was told that an upgraded curtis was the best way to go but I decided to go with a Navitas 440 and tried to make it work but all I'm getting is a solenoid click and no throttle read outs whatsoever. Everything is wired correctly but I'm not sure if it's a harness issue or the controller just isn't compatible with this motor (it's a GE pictured here). Any ideas on a suitable upgrade to get more power out of this cart? Alltrax?
twilliams81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-09-2019, 12:17 PM   #2
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Suggestions for 2001 Series upgrade

I know nothing about your controller, but have a series cart and one area that will often act up if you even barely touch it is a four wire Molex connector, which has two throttle microswitch wires, which are apparently OK as your solenoid is clicking, and two wires for the ITS. If either ITS wire cconnection is bad, the controller may be on, but waiting for "instructions" from the ITS.

Eliminate this by soldering or butt-splicing the wirres and use a quality heat-shrink. Try unplugging/replugging. Often that's enough to know if that's your problem. Trace cable from throttle box to wiring harness, generally between controller/solenoid and the FNR.

Does your controller have an LED? Does it light up when you press the pedal just enough for solenoid to click?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Molex.jpeg (254.5 KB, 0 views)
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 12:20 PM   #3
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

One more thing to check. My original Alltrax series controller changed the sequence of the pins, so 1 through 4 (yeah, the Molex has more positions than wires) were different that the stock controller.

Another thing to check. Is your controller programmed for an ITS - I'm assuming a 2001 is ITS? Can you hook up a laptop, and/or see if it's throwing out any codes? Do you have a manual for it?
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 07:51 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Apparently the Navitas 440 is a "Universal" controller that works with Series wound motors and Sepex wound motors. A unique interface box/cable is needed for each drive type and the F1/F2 terminals on the controller are not used for a series type motor. (Looks like you pay for everything and can only use part of it with a series drive. )

Here's the installation /service manual.

Please post picture of Navitas 440 controller showing the wiring and adapter kluge wiring.

-----------
I don't see a reason the Navitas 440 shouldn't be able to power the GE series motor pictured in 1st post, but if I was upgrading a series drive cart. I'd go withe an Alltrax SR48400 or larger controller.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Navitas.pdf (4.16 MB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 08:21 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The Alltrax SR series controller is one of the most popular controllers for this cart.
The connection does require the installer to cut the molex connector off the harness plug and put standard 1/4" crimp on spade connectors on the 4 wires in order to plug into the SR control.
If you have the tools and skills to do that 10 minute job the rest is easy. Just like the free user software that allows you to use the same controller in many (nearly any) series cart.

A bigger controller like the SR48500 with a peak output of 570 amps will allow the stock motor to make as much power as it possibly can ... and it will work with any aftermarket motor later running 36 or 48 volts.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO