lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-16-2019, 09:30 AM   #11
Speedfreak95
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Trial and error?

The cart is a 1997 not sure I have anything to plug into
Speedfreak95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-16-2019, 09:38 AM   #12
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedfreak95 View Post
The cart is a 1997 not sure I have anything to plug into
Stock controller. I must have confused yours with another who upgraded to an Alltrax controller. I'd still check the Molex. Mine would sometimes leave me stranded until I unplugged/replugged a few times. I cut it off and soldered the wires and used a marine grade heat-shrink.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 12:07 PM   #13
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Okay so with all that has been upgraded once I get that reverse contactor in I’m gonna start seeing more power to the motor and I’ll be back in that 19mph range?
Quote:
The hd f/r and the reverse contactor seem to be a difference of what $30? After I change out the f/r the only stock component is going to be my controller guess the way this has been working that will probably be upgraded as well.. still baffled on where 3-4 extra mph appear and disappear from time to time
The max RPM a series DC traction motor spins is determined by three primary factors.
1. The relative strengths of the electromagnets formed by the field and armature windings.
2. The voltage applied to the motor.
3. The mechanical load imposed on the motor.

The way the series motor is wound doesn't change after leaving the factory and the mechanical loading probably matches the terrain fairly consistently, so the voltage being applied to the motor is about 25% lower when the cart's speed is about 25% slower.

The battery pack voltage getting 25% lower at times is a possibility.
The voltage getting to the controller is 25% lower at times.
The voltage the controller applies to the motor is also a possibility.

The ability of the F/R switch contacts to pass a high number of amps can change, so the F/R switch is the most likely suspect, but neither the battery pack nor the controller can be exonerated at this time.

What is the voltage between the battery pack's main negative and main positive when cart is running slow?

What is the voltage between the controller's B- and B+ terminals when cart is running slow?

What is the voltage between the controller's M- and B+ terminals when cart is running slow?
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 08:15 PM   #14
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

If Molex were bad and throttle signal were sometimes bad, couldn't that explain it w/o a significant voltage drop?
Old 05-16-2019, 09:23 PM   #15
Speedfreak95
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Not familiar with molex what is that? Battery pack is less than a month old could I be having an issue with my charger? Only stock items on the cart are the stock controller/ f/r switch assuming it’s a 1997 frame there original and have taken a beating in 22 years
Old 05-17-2019, 04:19 AM   #16
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

See post 10. It's a four wire plug the connects the cable from the throttle box to the wiring harness. It's usually located just like the picture shows, between the FNR and the controller/solenoid.

Definitely do the tests JohnnyB said, and report back.
Old 05-18-2019, 05:33 PM   #17
Speedfreak95
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Went cruising today for about an hour. I was in the 19-21 mph range with the high of 23mph.. not a hiccup. I checked the f/r with my hand cool to the touch but my 200amp solenoid was very hott? Wires were a light warm but I figured after going full speed about 30-40 mins that’s expected. I didn’t get a chance to do any tests
Old 05-26-2019, 08:29 PM   #18
Speedfreak95
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I eliminated the molex connector today. I spliced the wires and used shrink wrap to finish it. The cart seemed more accurate around the higher teens. I used it on and off for awhile. The one time it wasn’t as powerful I switched back the f/r a few times like recommended and I was back on track. Guess a new f/r switch isabont to be on order
Old 05-27-2019, 06:22 AM   #19
DaveTM
Gone Wild

If your going to replace your F\R switch, I would highly recommend going with a HD contactor switch. (I bot mine from Scotty B) The EZ-GO lever shift F\R switch is the weakest link in the entire setup. I've found my contactor switch to work flawlessly for over two years now.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 06:37 PM   #20
Speedfreak95
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

How is installation for the connector switch? Am I going to have to change out the wire ends with larger fittings then the 5/16s
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO