lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-28-2020, 05:38 PM   #11
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 89 club car 36v stays hot, no neutral

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
That would be nice. All I was saying is 2 things have to happen for the cart to go when put into gear. Solenoid closed and throttle input. The V-glide contacts are a notorious fail point in this cart.
If the solenoid is welded, no other device has to fail for the cart to move.

If it only happens when the key is on, then both micro switches have to have failed closed for the f&r to spark.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-28-2020, 06:05 PM   #12
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
If the solenoid is welded, no other device has to fail for the cart to move.

If it only happens when the key is on, then both micro switches have to have failed closed for the f&r to spark.

Exactly.
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 06:26 PM   #13
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

So the solenoid accelerates the cart then? Not the Vglide
So if the vglide is at zero. and the solenoid is activated the cart accelerates?

I thought the power went through the Vglide. And the V glide had a zero or off position.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 07:00 PM   #14
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

If I understand this correctly (perhaps I don't) what Sergio is saying is the bottom position of the v-glide still allows the cart to move. If everything is working correctly there is no pack voltage to the v-glide until the key is on, in F or R, and the v-glide Micro is activated.

However, if the solenoid is welded pack voltage goes to the slowest position of the v-glide causing the cart to move if in F or R. And this would be regardless of the key position.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 07:07 PM   #15
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Smile Re: 89 club car 36v stays hot, no neutral

What he said, we all agree is not a good/safe system, but it is how it works.

...was not trying to be argumentative.
Old 01-28-2020, 07:12 PM   #16
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

If I remember correctly Sergio, as you explained it to me a couple years ago, this prevents sparking from a "large inrush of current" if the wiper was completely away from the pads and then activated.
Old 01-28-2020, 07:13 PM   #17
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I think he has 2 problems but I leave it up to you guys.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 10:15 AM   #18
pappygt88
Not Yet Wild

Hey Thanks for your input. I have been sitting there trying to trace power starting at the battery and following it to motor and beejeebees.... I got a headache. I can follow the big wires ok but there are all these small ones that I could not figure out and UTUBE has NOTHING on my wiring - so thanks to this forum and your replies, I am going to check that solenoid. I believe if I put 12v power to it, I should hear it 'click' then I assume, pull power off quickly to avoid ark welding :) . On a related but different question, as I was trying to track 12v power thru the system, my relatively inexpensive meter (about 15$) wwhen put on DC mode, it never zeros out. Frustrating - when it was attached to 12v, or 6v, it would show it ok, but as soon as I disconnected it, the numbers on the meter went wild - bad meter? I have 2 of them, both doing same thing so maybe it me?

Again, thanks for you input, am going now to text what should be a stuck or welded solenoid.
Greg
pappygt88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 10:43 AM   #19
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The Solenoid uses 36v.

Just replace the Solenoid as it is bad.

If You want to be absolutely sure, just remove the wires from the Solenoid small post and see if the cart still runs.
Old 02-02-2020, 12:03 PM   #20
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappygt88 View Post
Hey Thanks for your input. I have been sitting there trying to trace power starting at the battery and following it to motor and beejeebees.... I got a headache. I can follow the big wires ok but there are all these small ones that I could not figure out and UTUBE has NOTHING on my wiring - so thanks to this forum and your replies, I am going to check that solenoid. I believe if I put 12v power to it, I should hear it 'click' then I assume, pull power off quickly to avoid ark welding :) . On a related but different question, as I was trying to track 12v power thru the system, my relatively inexpensive meter (about 15$) wwhen put on DC mode, it never zeros out. Frustrating - when it was attached to 12v, or 6v, it would show it ok, but as soon as I disconnected it, the numbers on the meter went wild - bad meter? I have 2 of them, both doing same thing so maybe it me?

Again, thanks for you input, am going now to text what should be a stuck or welded solenoid.
Greg
Unless somebody has tapped 2 of the 6 volt batteries for accessories, or has installed a 36 to 12 volt reducer, nothing should be 12 volt on that cart.

Tags
creeping, short circuit
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car