lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-10-2020, 09:58 AM   #1
Nlb7928
Not Yet Wild

Default Won't start without choke

I have this 1996/7 Club Car. I get that every morning a little choke is necessary. It then fires up and no problems. But, what I don't get, is I drive it a half mile, park it for 10 minutes, and it needs choked again. This continues most all times I operate it. If I sit for less than 2 minutes, it might fire without choking.

Seems like it doesn't keep the gas primed to the carburetor...

I feel like I'm missing something obvious. And, even though I accept it needs choked after sitting, it's 80+ degrees and I drove it yesterday, should I really need to choke it evvery day in the summer?

It's not a big deal, but my kids get confused about when to choke it and when not to choke it.

Thanks,
Nathan
Nlb7928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-10-2020, 07:06 PM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: Won't start without choke

Carb needs to be cleaned most likely. Only takes about 30 minutes to take it apart and clean everything out. Make sure to remove the main jet, the pilot tube above the main jet, and the idle pilot screw on the side of the carb body. Make sure all of the holes and ports in the carb are clean with carb or brake cleaner and blat them out really well with compressed air if you have it.

Make sure the throttle lever is not being pulled open before the engine starts cranking. Check the governor cable (runs from governor to the carb) for free play. It should be Very loose and should move Very easily. If there is not much play, the cable could be sticking and causing the throttle lever to hang open. If it feels like there is resistance in the cable or it feels rough it should be replaced.

If the throttle lever on the carb opens too soon the mixture will be too lean and cause hard starting. Make sure the throttle lever does not start to pull open until after the engine starts cranking.

There is also adjustment for the stop position of the throttle lever that should be checked. Mae sure the throttle lever moves freely first. Turn the throttle stop screw out until it is not touching the lever, turn in until it just barely touches, then turn in another 1/4 turn.
Also make sure the idle mixture screw is not turned all the way in. There should be a block on the screw that prevents it being turned too far. Try to set it in the middle range, or turn it out a bit further.

When was the last time it got a new spark plug? Should be an NGK BPR5ES. Gap at .030.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 01:40 PM   #3
Nlb7928
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Won't start without choke

Awesome! Thanks so much. I've cleaned the carb in the past and the throttle cable is only 2 years old, but never done the other adjustments you mentioned.

You are always spot on with your help too. Last year you helped diagnose backfire as a bad coil for me. I really appreciate it.

Nathan
Nlb7928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car