lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-10-2020, 11:35 AM   #1
JFro
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default EZGO Express 72v 4x4 -> 2x4

Greetings Gang - I’ve searched but cant find any information so I thought I ask this group.
I’ve recently purchased a EZGO Express 4x4 and want to know if anybody has installed a controller to switch it in and out of 4x4.
The cart has 2 separate motors (1 front, 1 rear).
The cart is FULL TIME 4X4.
The buggy will be used in 2x4 75% of the time, but need the 4x4 to get around the hunting camp.
Any help would be appreciated!
5ABE1578-404A-4761-B3AB-36E720E31A1D.jpg
JFro is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-10-2020, 11:56 AM   #2
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: EZGO Express 72v 4x4 -> 2x4

One controller or two?
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 01:07 PM   #3
JFro
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

2 controllers
1 controller for each motor.
Was hoping to simply disconnect the front with a switch.
Old 08-10-2020, 01:29 PM   #4
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Problem is if you do that you need to disable the front controller so it doesn’t try to regen when driving. Is there separate run tow switches?
Old 08-10-2020, 01:35 PM   #5
JFro
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Not sure what the “run tow switches” are.
Couldn’t one just install a switch to the front controller?
Thought being, when the gas pedal is pressed in 2x4 the front controller gets zero energy.
So are you asking if this front controller would be in neutral allowing the tires to turn?
Old 08-10-2020, 03:42 PM   #6
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Unless the correct power is removed from the front controller it may sense it is running away and apply voltage to brake it electrically. Should be run/tow switch somewhere. You need to flip that before you work on anything electric
Old 08-10-2020, 04:15 PM   #7
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFro View Post
2 controllers
1 controller for each motor.
Was hoping to simply disconnect the front with a switch.
They use a master/slave arrangement. Both are engaged and they communicate to keep in synch. You cannot simply turn off one controller because the motor for that controller will be spinning and will feed power into the controller. It generates due to residual magnetism, and once current flows it rapidly builds up a much stronger field, increasing current, ect. In a nutshel, it will damage your controller unless that motor/controller set is placed in tow mode. Even then, there are speed limits that tow mode will allow before it applies regenerative braking to attempt to prevent damage,
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 04:00 AM   #8
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

After textron "boned us" (for lack of a term that a decent forum will allow), I'm so glad to never see/touch that again. Sorry about your bad luck. I'll never play their game again on that one. Tried "bass pro shops"? After what they did to us for Recalls on BadBoyBuggies, con us into taking Textron offroad, then tossing us to the curb to ditch us for "Trakker offroad", best of luck to you, they gave all us the whale penis, and you'll get the same support from the "factory". I hope you get a hand here, because the factory lied to us, and I'm done with their **** for "offroad". I sure hope the Arcticat owners dont get ****** like we did as dealers. Sorry, I wont touch it.

The service manuals might be available from "pi-- ed off" dealers who got screwed, if you ask.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2x4 switch, 4x4
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO