lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-20-2020, 02:17 PM   #1
Thereallolo
Not Yet Wild

Default Another Battery Question. Help confirming my suspicions

Hi Everyone,

I bought a 36v 2011 EZGO TXT last week. It had one brand new Crown CR205 battery, and 5 Crowns CR205s that are supposed to be about a year old.

This has been my week:
Day 1: Charged it. Took it out for a couple spins, died rather quickly. We got a total of 7 miles out of it after a full charge.

Day 2: Charged it. It sat for a couple days, took it out for a spin, lasted 10 minutes max.

Day 3: Charged it. Checked voltage, about 30 minutes after the charger clicked off and the batteries were at 6.38, 6.32, 6.32, 6.33, 6.32, 6.32. Checked it 6 hours later, the batteries dropped to 6.36, 6.24, 6.23, 6.22, 6.22, 6.23.
Checked it the next morning, 18 hours or so after it finished charging and batteries are at 6.35, 6.21, 6.21, 6.20, 6.21, 6.21

Day 5: Charged it. Took it for a 20 minute spin. Batteries are at 6.32, 6.19, 6.18, 6.18, 6.17, 6.18, 6.18.

So, do I have 5 bad batteries and the one is carrying the weight for all? I am pretty much a battery newb, and learning as I go. My suspicion is this guy just put one new battery in it to sell it, and I fell for it. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Thereallolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-20-2020, 02:29 PM   #2
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Another Battery Question. Help confirming my suspicions

First can you read the stamp on top of the batteries? there should be a long list of letters and numbers stamped on top of the casing which would give you the actual year of the battery...Next I would check each battery individually under a load using you meter to see if one is dropping way lower than the rest dragging the run time down...I would be suspicious as to why he/she replaced one battery if they were all replaced a year ago unless they have been charged dry or not maintained....when he installed the new battery with the others the new battery is being brought down to the old ones so I would no longer consider it new...
camaroluvz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 02:46 PM   #3
Thereallolo
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroluvz28 View Post
First can you read the stamp on top of the batteries? there should be a long list of letters and numbers stamped on top of the casing which would give you the actual year of the battery...Next I would check each battery individually under a load using you meter to see if one is dropping way lower than the rest dragging the run time down...I would be suspicious as to why he/she replaced one battery if they were all replaced a year ago unless they have been charged dry or not maintained....when he installed the new battery with the others the new battery is being brought down to the old ones so I would no longer consider it new...
Yeah, it starts with G0 which doesn't make sense to me at all, because he said they were replaced in Dec 2019. The "new" one is stamped B2. I'm seriously stumped. These batteries can't be 10 years old, can they?

When I asked why he changed just one, he said because they had a light bar and led lights that were running off that battery and drained it prematurely.

Old batteries. They all start with the same couple #'s
Old 10-20-2020, 04:33 PM   #4
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Crown batteries:

1st digit - month
2nd &3rd digit- day
4th digit - year
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 04:56 PM   #5
Thereallolo
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernal View Post
Crown batteries:

1st digit - month
2nd &3rd digit- day
4th digit - year
Thank you! I have been looking for that specific info. But the only thing I was finding was first letter month, second letter year. Now this makes sense.
Old 10-20-2020, 09:23 PM   #6
sigfla45
Gone Wild

Dumb question but I assume the fluids are all good in the batts
sigfla45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 09:39 PM   #7
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Thumbs up Re: Another Battery Question. Help confirming my suspicions

Normal year code.

G0 would = G=July, 0=2010
B2 would = B=Feb 2=2012

For flooded lead acid batteries, the date code is stamped using two letters and a number. The first letter refers to the month it was manufactured: A-L refers to January – December. The number refers to the year in which the battery was made. For example: 2 would be 2012, 3 would be 2013, 4 would be 2014, etc.

How to Read US Battery Date Codes
Flooded Lead Acid:
For flooded lead acid batteries, the date code is stamped using two letters and a number. The
first letter refers to the month it was manufactured: A-L refers to January – December. The
number refers to the year in which the battery was made. For example: 2 would be 2012, 3
would be 2013, 4 would be 2014, etc. The last letter refers to the plant in which the battery was
made. For example: X refers to Corona, Y refers to Augusta, and Z refers to Evans.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 10:12 PM   #8
Thereallolo
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigfla45 View Post
Dumb question but I assume the fluids are all good in the batts
Yes, fluid is good. But that not to say it wasn't good before I bought it last week.
Old 10-20-2020, 10:14 PM   #9
Thereallolo
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
Normal year code.

G0 would = G=July, 0=2010
B2 would = B=Feb 2=2012

For flooded lead acid batteries, the date code is stamped using two letters and a number. The first letter refers to the month it was manufactured: A-L refers to January – December. The number refers to the year in which the battery was made. For example: 2 would be 2012, 3 would be 2013, 4 would be 2014, etc.

How to Read US Battery Date Codes
Flooded Lead Acid:
For flooded lead acid batteries, the date code is stamped using two letters and a number. The
first letter refers to the month it was manufactured: A-L refers to January – December. The
number refers to the year in which the battery was made. For example: 2 would be 2012, 3
would be 2013, 4 would be 2014, etc. The last letter refers to the plant in which the battery was
made. For example: X refers to Corona, Y refers to Augusta, and Z refers to Evans.
It doesn't really make sense then. The newish battery stamped with B2, literally looks and acts brand new. And there's no way these other ones are 10+ years old because the cart is only 9 years old.
Old 10-21-2020, 02:29 AM   #10
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

I sell Crown Batteries. If you will clean the top of the battery, especially the negative post, and post a pic of the top of each battery, I will see if I can tell anything, if not, I can check with my distributor.

You Don't have to post all 6 if 5 have the same code on the negative post, just post one of that one.

My Guess is the G0 is July 2020. It also possible some stamped new letters in the negative post.
rockfordpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO