lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-29-2020, 09:39 PM   #1
Dond297
Not Yet Wild

Default New cart owner. Need help.

So I just purchased a seasonal camp site and with that came a 1996 club car ds. 48 volt. Brought it home to work on it during the winter and noticed the charger won't come on (Power charger). So I got out the multimeter and I have 48.9 volts across the battery pack. But what is confusing to me is when I check it at the charging receptical I only get 36.7 volts. Does this mean my OBC is bad? If so can I replace with a lester onboard smart charger? Will the cart still work as long as I leave the old OBC in place? If it helps I have a orange battery light, a push button f/n/r switch and no tow/run switch. Cart drives great as is but I'm concerned when the batteries get any lower how to charge them. Also maybe helpful to mention the battery light is blinking 5 seconds on 5 seconds off. Would I be better off just replacing computer? Thanks in advance for any help as I'm new to this and it's my first cart.
Dond297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-29-2020, 09:56 PM   #2
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Default Re: New cart owner. Need help.

Hello. to BGW.

Are you sure it is a 1996? (Serial number)
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 10:12 PM   #3
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

If it is indeed a 1996, which it sounds like it is, you have a REGEN 1 cart.

Since you will find out soon enough I will go ahead and deliver the bad news first. That system was Club Car's first attempt at a Regen system. The system is obsolete and was problematic from day one.

The good news: Forget about the charger you have and the OBC. Buy a charger like the MODZMAX that will charge your cart with or without the OBC. If the cart is running fine as it is I would not even worry about bypassing/removing the OBC. I would run it as is until the REGEN 1 system gives up. At which point you will have to make some major upgrades.

The other good news is the cart came with your property.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-29-2020, 10:37 PM   #4
Dond297
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooncarter View Post
hello. To bgw.

Are you sure it is a 1996? (serial number)
a9642-537394
Old 10-29-2020, 10:37 PM   #5
Dond297
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
If it is indeed a 1996, which it sounds like it is, you have a REGEN 1 cart.

Since you will find out soon enough I will go ahead and deliver the bad news first. That system was Club Car's first attempt at a Regen system. The system is obsolete and was problematic from day one.

The good news: Forget about the charger you have and the OBC. Buy a charger like the MODZMAX that will charge your cart with or without the OBC. If the cart is running fine as it is I would not even worry about bypassing/removing the OBC. I would run it as is until the REGEN 1 system gives up. At which point you will have to make some major upgrades.

The other good news is the cart came with your property.

Hope this helps.
What kinda major upgrades are we talking?
Old 10-29-2020, 10:44 PM   #6
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dond297 View Post
What kinda major upgrades are we talking?
The short answer here is pretty much everything except the motor.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car