lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-03-2021, 02:02 PM   #1
opelikamike
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default No Brake Lights on 2015 RXV`

I was checking lights, horn and such on my 2015 RXV and I'm not seeing any brake lights either side when I press the pedal with key in F or R positions. Turn signals and tail lights work fine so I'm wondering if it is a brake switch problem. I haven't had to do any maintenance around pedal cluster so before I start taking things apart can listees advise me what best to check and where to find out why I'm not getting brake lights?

I know the RXV braking system is different than some other models so I just don't want to mess anything up.

Just to confirm that the brake lights are stock and there are no other brake light aftermarkets added on and cart seems to feel fine when driving and braking. The only problem I observe is no brake lights.

Thanks
Mike in Ocala
opelikamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-03-2021, 02:50 PM   #2
opelikamike
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: No Brake Lights on 2015 RXV`

Update as I just went out and checked again and now it appear that brake lights are on all the time regardless as to dash light switch position. Does this operation suggest brake light switch or something else?

Thanks for any help as this is first golf cart so i'm learning as I go.

Mike
Old 01-03-2021, 02:57 PM   #3
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Mike usually when the brake light is always on the brake is bad.
usgicollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 03:07 PM   #4
opelikamike
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I had read that but earlier today I had no brake lights regardless of pedal depression OR light switch position. Just after the last sentence I went out and checked again. Brake lights were on as soon as key was turned to F. Moved key to R and brake lights went off and no brake pedal action makes them turn on. Even went back to F position and no brake lights. Any ideas now?

When I drive it and take foot off accelerator I can feel motor brake slow cart down.

Would that still indicate bad brake?

Mike
Old 01-03-2021, 03:42 PM   #5
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by opelikamike View Post
I had read that but earlier today I had no brake lights regardless of pedal depression OR light switch position. Just after the last sentence I went out and checked again. Brake lights were on as soon as key was turned to F. Moved key to R and brake lights went off and no brake pedal action makes them turn on. Even went back to F position and no brake lights. Any ideas now?

When I drive it and take foot off accelerator I can feel motor brake slow cart down.

Would that still indicate bad brake?

Mike
Motor brake is designed to be an automatic parking brake. It does not engage during normal driving. What you are feeling is regen from the motor. The motor is the primary brake and can bring the cart to a complete stop at which time the motor brake engages. Stepping on the service brake pedal increases regen braking.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 04:13 PM   #6
opelikamike
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Yeah I misspoke. What I feel is what I understand the regen effect to be. BTW, I looked at a wiring diagram (not sure it applies to my 2015) and it shows a brake light relay under cup holder. I removed top of cup holder and there is no relay connected to the red and purple wires under the top of the cup holder as that wiring diagram suggests. Maybe the stock brake lights on a 2015 don't operate through a relay.
Old 01-03-2021, 05:45 PM   #7
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by opelikamike View Post
Yeah I misspoke. What I feel is what I understand the regen effect to be. BTW, I looked at a wiring diagram (not sure it applies to my 2015) and it shows a brake light relay under cup holder. I removed top of cup holder and there is no relay connected to the red and purple wires under the top of the cup holder as that wiring diagram suggests. Maybe the stock brake lights on a 2015 don't operate through a relay.
You'll need to get the brake light relay set up in order for the brake lights to work. The relay has a 24V coil. I think cgtech has the E-Z-GO part number memorized. He usually posts responses before I even read the days posts. LOL
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 07:33 PM   #8
opelikamike
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

The brake lights have worked since I purchased the cart last June so the hardware is already in place. I'm just trying to figure out what causes them to either stay on any time key is on (current status) or not come on at all when pedal is pressed.
Old 01-04-2021, 04:46 PM   #9
opelikamike
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Found the problem. My setup uses a normally closed plunger switch which works off brake pedal movement to turn on brake lights. The mounting flange on the switch had broken and switch was lying by brake pedal. Repaired flange with super glue and remounted and for now all is working. Thanks
Old 01-04-2021, 07:17 PM   #10
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Hmm, that's not how factory installed lights activate brake lights, yours must be aftermarket. No wonder I couldnt imagine what was going on.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO