lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-10-2021, 12:02 PM   #1
LEMANSZ20
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default 1984 Club car, feels like its almost skipping a gear?

Hey guys I know carts dont have gears obviously, I have a 1984 with the 5 solenoids. It has this feeling where its like skipping first gear and just jumps straight to 2 type thing and then runs fine.

Like literally when i turn it on and put it into forward I can hear it make a click like its already in gear, never heard it before. I am thinking the first solenoid is bad, I just bought them maybe a year ago. I mean is it just possibly that went or could it be the speed switch slide? I am not sure if im even thinking of the possible right issue.

I cleaned up the wires to the first solenoid and even cut the end and put a new end b/c maybe the wire was rusted, but that didnt solve it.
LEMANSZ20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-10-2021, 04:51 PM   #2
S-N-R Customs
Gone Wild

Default Re: 1984 Club car, feels like its almost skipping a gear?

You definitely have at least 1 bad solenoid or a v glide issue. Do you know how to check for continuity with a voltage meter? If so, check across the solenoids when the cart is off, there should be no connection when the cart is off. If you find one that does replace it.
If you don’t find a bad solenoid, search for a thread on here about testing the v glide unit from the drive pedal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
S-N-R Customs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 05:27 PM   #3
morvolts2
Gone Wild

Im trying to remember if 84 used micro switches instead
morvolts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 07:04 PM   #4
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

If you have 5 solenoids you don't have a V Glide.

Jack the rear of the cart off the ground and slowly press the go pedal down. See which solenoids are clicking. Should go from right to left facing the rear.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 08:11 PM   #5
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Should be the second solenoid from the drivers side. The first one is the main solenoid.
mgray70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 10:56 AM   #6
LEMANSZ20
Gone Wild
Club Car

Its actually a simple 5 solenoid cart, so just to be sure, lift it up and the first solenoid is the main, so I should hear clicking from the second one to the last one that has the cable connected to the motor right?
Old 01-11-2021, 01:43 PM   #7
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEMANSZ20 View Post
Its actually a simple 5 solenoid cart, so just to be sure, lift it up and the first solenoid is the main, so I should hear clicking from the second one to the last one that has the cable connected to the motor right?
Correct. Even if you hear them all click, doesn't always mean they close or make contact. If it doesn't change speed when it clicks, it probably isn't making contact.
mgray70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 04:47 PM   #8
LEMANSZ20
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgray70 View Post
Correct. Even if you hear them all click, doesn't always mean they close or make contact. If it doesn't change speed when it clicks, it probably isn't making contact.
Well I just ordered some replacements from revolution. I mean they are oem solenoids and they didnt even last a year which is kinda crazy to me. For that I guess I should go with the cheaper options after these. I bought them in may and didnt have the cart running till March. The issue started in dec so I just feel like club car making a pretty cheap product, mind you with no warranty either which is crazy.
Old 01-11-2021, 04:54 PM   #9
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Does it run in Forward but with the key switch OFF?

If not, the issue is a bad micro-switch and not the solenoids.

A "click" sound is an indication of a bad micro-switch that activates the solenoid as soon as you have power on the circuit.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 10:24 PM   #10
LEMANSZ20
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
Does it run in Forward but with the key switch OFF?

If not, the issue is a bad micro-switch and not the solenoids.

A "click" sound is an indication of a bad micro-switch that activates the solenoid as soon as you have power on the circuit.
Not when off, when i turn it on and move it to toward I hear a click right away. If I have it in forward or reverse when off it does nothing.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car